• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create outline of a complex shape that is 3mm wider all the way around to turn into svg 4 3d print

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Forum, 

I'm wondering if someone can help... I have multiple vector drawings of outlines of fish (i.e. they're quite complex) and I want to create an outline that is 3mm away from each original then fill in the gap to essentially create a wide outline - it has to be 3mm as I'm exporting the shape as an svg to use for 3d printing. When I use scaling then cutting out it's hard to get them all lined up and in the right place and when I use offset path it all seems to go wrong. The svg corrupts or creates something really strange even when I move decimal up to 5 and get rid of minify/responsive.

Does anyone have a good auggestion as to how to do this efficiently?

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Can you show something please (screenshot or example file)?

I would recommend adding an extra stroke (or fill) at the group or layer level by using the little circle right next to the name in the Layers Panel (means: "Target selection"). You need to open the Appearance Panel and a new effect: Offset Path on your added stroke (or fill).

(If you need real paths - you have to expand appearance afterwards.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show something please (screenshot or example file)?

I would recommend adding an extra stroke (or fill) at the group or layer level by using the little circle right next to the name in the Layers Panel (means: "Target selection"). You need to open the Appearance Panel and a new effect: Offset Path on your added stroke (or fill).

(If you need real paths - you have to expand appearance afterwards.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Expand! That did the trick, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's pretty much a terrible workflow in the first place. Consider learning Blender and exporting STLs from there. It has quite a few optimization tools for 3D printing, including a wall thickness tool that actualyl makes sense in this context and is able to fix self-intersections, spikes and loops.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines