• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create Polygons with Sides of a Specified Length

Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm interested in drawing pictures with tilings of regular polygons of various types. Is there some way to create a polygon in Illustrator and specify that the sides (not the radius) are a certain length? For example, to create a triangle, square, pentagon, and hexagon that each have sides exactly 10 pt long? It doesn't seem to be possible, but I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something. Thanks!

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

In recent versions of Illustrator, when you use the Polygon tool and look at Shape Properties on the Control panel, it shows the Side Length and you can edit it.

SideLength.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In recent versions of Illustrator, when you use the Polygon tool and look at Shape Properties on the Control panel, it shows the Side Length and you can edit it.

SideLength.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve, that's great news. I'm on CS3 currently, so I need to upgrade to a more recent version. It would be great if anyone knows which version introduced this improvement to the polygon tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a CC version.

CC is the only version you can now officially upgrade to anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika. Looks like I'll have to ponder whether this feature is worth $22 a month to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there another way to do this? The shape option is not showing up on the control bar in the current version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shape options  should be in the Transform panel.

If they are missing in the Control panel, that probably means there is not enough room for all items that are checked in the Control panel menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

 This is all it's giving me. I try to adjust thedifferent numbers but it only changes the overall height and width, I want to change individual sides.

Screenshot (396).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem also to have an older version that does not support this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there another way to do this?!

Hi RstrAt, you can always use good old math to scale your shape.

Scale % =targetSideLength/currentSideLength*100 

so, lets say your shape's side measures 50 pt and you want to scale it to 70 pt per side

Scale % = 70/50*100 = 140%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines