Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a Certain Action in Illustrator based on Colour

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I wish to create a very specific Action for Design to Artwork setups.

I'm supplied a Dieline by an outside Designer and then I have to set up artwork based on our printers capabilities and standards. I have tried to seperate different colours into different layers by creating an action but it hasn't worked and I'm still doing this manually. I can describe the process below.

Select Same Stroke Colour (Red) > Put in new Layer 2

Select Same Stroke Colour (Green) > Move in Layer 2

Select Same Stroke Colour (Black) > Put in new Layer 3

Select Same Fill Colour (Black) > Move in Layer 3

Select Same Stroke Colour (Blue) > Put in new Layer 4

Change Stroke Colour of Sheet (Pink) to no stroke

Resize Artboard to fit Selected Art (Sheet)

This is really the whole process - it's simple but would be a lot quicker with actions. I would then rename the layers - Layer 2 Dieline, Layer 3 Dimensions, Layer 4 Artwork, Layer 1 would become Bounding.

The colours that are supplied to me in the Designers file are all RGB Makeups but they always remain the same with each file - for example; the RED is always the same breakdown of RGB in every file they send.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

I think I found out why you get the error messages.

The black objects that are supposed to move to the Dimensions layer are defined as greyscale objects instead of RGB.

Please try the following steps before you start the action:

1. Open the file, select all and go to the Edit menu > Edit Colours > Convert to RGB.
  2. Open the Layers palette and make sure that Layer 1 is highlighted (not selected).
  3. Start the action.

Does it work now?

If you don't want to go these additional steps, you may do

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Can you share one or two sample Illustrator files (.ai)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest version of CC 2020. I would be happy to share .ai files in private if that's ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually it is beneficial to share a public download link, but in case the sample files are confidential, you can send me a private message with further instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've sent you a private message with a download link to an action set that will create the desired layer order based on the confidential sample files you provided.

You may try it out and report back if it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this is very good - you've done a great job,

It almost does everything we need. The one issue I'm facing is that the dimensions lines (arrows, strokes etc) all still remain in the Artwork Layer - they don't move to the Dieline Layer.

Halfway through the action it says "Attribute Setting not currently available" and the same for "Deselect All" after it.

Other than that it is very good. If the dimension arrows and strokes can move to the dimensions layer with the dimensions text then it's 100% perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try that with the sample file "SuppliedFile_Template.pdf"?

Or did you use another file with different settings?

I'm asking because it shouldn't happen what you are reporting in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used it on SuppliedFile_Template.pdf and the above occured.

The action is required to be used on all of these types of files though. I just tried it on another file and it works well but the same thing occurs with the dimensions lines not moving to the dimensions layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite sure why that would happen. It works 100 % for me (based on your sample files).

Perhaps you can find a way to repair and modify the action, so that it works for you as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Not sure why this is occuring. Got a friend to try it on a different machine and they get "Attribute Setting not currently available" as well. Not sure why. I'll read up more about actions and try and edit it if possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are talking about the action set "Structurizer_2", right?

Does the message appear at action step 22 (when the action is supposed to select all objects with the note "dimensions")?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I believe so - it is happening on the 3rd Attribute Setting step and then Deselect All right after.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of the Actions palette (in list mode) and mark all action steps that cause the error messages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found out why you get the error messages.

The black objects that are supposed to move to the Dimensions layer are defined as greyscale objects instead of RGB.

Please try the following steps before you start the action:

1. Open the file, select all and go to the Edit menu > Edit Colours > Convert to RGB.
  2. Open the Layers palette and make sure that Layer 1 is highlighted (not selected).
  3. Start the action.

Does it work now?

If you don't want to go these additional steps, you may download and try this slightly modified action below (it should take care of the greyscale objects).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ct121043LalexLfMye89SCyLuIRF5WrM/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Thank you - this worked out great.

Much appreciated for this solution. You have done a great job.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought: This kind of action takes a lot of time to develop it and make it work as required. As a matter of course, I do not charge it.

But I can imagine that you may considerably benefit from it. If that applies, I would appreciate if you may consider to donate at least a small amount of money to a children hospice that is located where you are living.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great idea. I can donate to a charity in my country here and forward you and image of my donation if you'd like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Amaroo.

You don't need to provide an evidence.

As mentioned, just a thought. I would appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines