• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a frame around a text box?

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2009 Sep 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Illustrator (I'm running CS4 on a Mac) and I'm creating what is essentially an organization chart. (It's actually something more of a decision tree, but that's not important.)

I've searched some other forums and I discovered the Area Type Options. I'm using that to create 6 pixels of inset spacing between my text and the outside of the text box. Now, I'd like to have a 1 or 2 point frame drawn automatically around the text box. One place told me to go to Object > Text Frame. However, when I highlight the text box and go to Object there is not Text Frame option (either available or grayed out).

It doesn't seem that I should have to manually go through the work of drawing a rectangle around every text frame.

Can someone point me in the right direction to have Illustrator make the blue (electronic) frame into a real visible one?

Thank you in advance,

Bflat Blues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 13, 2009 Sep 13, 2009

Select the text object.

Use the Appearance Palette to add a new fill or add a new stroke.

Select the added fill or stroke in the Appearance list.

Drag it to below the Contents listing. Leave it selected.

Effect>ConvertToShape. Make the desired settings in the resulting dialog.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the text object.

Use the Appearance Palette to add a new fill or add a new stroke.

Select the added fill or stroke in the Appearance list.

Drag it to below the Contents listing. Leave it selected.

Effect>ConvertToShape. Make the desired settings in the resulting dialog.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. That did the trick.

However, I'm surprised how arcane this simple technique seems to be. I wanted to draw a straightforward org chart and Illustrator didn't appear to make it straightforward at all.

It's probably me. From what I can see, a new Illustrator user trying to use it for something this simple is like using dynamite to kill a fly.

I just need to play with it more as I'm working through exercises.

Once again, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More than ten years on and this is still miles from "straightforward" Quite confusing dynamite needed to kill this fly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

add fill and stroke to text frame.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks so much @Ton Frederiks.

Got that far. However, found it unintuitive because it doesn't work well with your existing CharacterStyles and ParagraphStyles settings. Infact the settings in the text box styles seem to overide the other two. (maybe you may have a solution for me 🙂 

I am finding it works okay when you only need the same font in the box (no fancy colours or headings) Also good for auto resize the box area as you type !!

Type > Area Type Options > Auto Size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine for me with styles when text is selected with the text tool.

styles.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant @Ton Frederiks And thank you for putting in screenshots!! Yes I have managed multiple Character Style types. However, I am finding if I apply those CharacterStyles first; but then go back to the BoxStyle and apply a style second;  it overrides them. Thx Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait 'til some entity sticks you with 2021!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now in CC2022 (maybe earlier?) you have to actually select a corner point on the bounding box to active this, not just the box itself. This is so obscure as to be unusable. Completely unintuitive way of implementing such a commonly needed feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The exact order ot this operation can be less intuitive.

I was struggling with adding a white background underneath some black text.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines