• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a halftone from a pattern/using a graphic for the halftone dots

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm working on a project where I would like to create a halftone, but have the dots in the halftone be this piece of graphic that I have (a simple circlular shape with some "negative space" inside it). I'm fairly new to Illustrator, but I've managed to make a pattern out of it. Does anyone know if it is then possible to either use this pattern to create a halftone (one that doesn't create a moire-effect) or if it is possible to use the base image graphic as the dots in a halftone from skratch?

TOPICS
Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Hi there!

It is possible to use a piece of graphic as the dots in a color halftone pattern but you have to buy a plugin suite made by Astute Graphics. The specific plugin used for this is called Phantasm and its Halftone Live Effect. You can define symbols in Illustrator and those can be used as the base "dots" for the halftone pattern.

I can't think of any other way to do this with the built-in tools and effects in Illustrator.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

ZooN

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure, do you want to apply a halftone effect to an image, like Effect > Pixelate > Color Halftone? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

It is possible to use a piece of graphic as the dots in a color halftone pattern but you have to buy a plugin suite made by Astute Graphics. The specific plugin used for this is called Phantasm and its Halftone Live Effect. You can define symbols in Illustrator and those can be used as the base "dots" for the halftone pattern.

I can't think of any other way to do this with the built-in tools and effects in Illustrator.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

ZooN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an example I just made where the gerbera flowers are used as the base symbol for the halftone pattern and I just applied this on a basic black to white linear gradient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, this is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you, I will check out the plugin (I've never had to use a plugin before, so here I go learning something new again). Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, glad I could help. The plugin is a bit on the pricey side but it's well worth it in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Or just do a 7-day trial and then cancel 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try Effect> Pixelate > Color halftone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines