• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a repeat pattern

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a seamless repeat pattern on illustrator using JPG images imported from photoshop. I have made a pattern and created into a swatch but now on a stage where I would like to add a background colour to my pattern. I have done the steps of:

Rectangle -> fill (with wanted colour) -> send to back

Rectangle (the same size) -> fill (with the repeat pattern swatch I have made)

and then copied and pasted the colour filled rectangle on top (so three rectangles on top of each other) -> make clipping mask -> crop.

After this stage, far as I know, I just have to drag the rectangle patch into the swatch section and it adds it to the swatch panel. 

But at the moment, even after I add it to the swatch panel, it isn't there when I go to pattern swatches and nothing happens. 

I have no idea why this is happening, and it would be amazing if someone can help me out on what I'm doing wrong! 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand you correctly, you already made a pattern?

If so you can fill an object with the pattern and add an additional fill below it in tn the Appearance panel.

fill below pattern.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless I am misunderstanding you, you simply dragged a jpg into your swatches. That would not put a pattern into the pattern library of your computer. It would only exist in the swatches of the file you created and only if you saved that particular file. You would need to actually save the pattern to your swatch library in order for it to later exist in your swatch libary and it would be a user library, not one created by Adobe. You could also save it to the Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A jpg must be embedded, not linked, to be used in a pattern.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to what Ton mentioned, I'd request checking out this help article(https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/create-edit-patterns.html) to know about patterns in Adobe Illustrator. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines