Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating Pattern/ Pattern not connecting and overlapping

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I was trying to create the photography of this floor tile as a tile pattern on illustrator.

IMG-8601.jpg

So I created a row squares then copy and pasted it either side of the first row of squares to created the the pattern, as you can see by the images attached when I tried to create the repeat pattern the squares seemed to overlap and didn't connect. Could someone please tell me where I am going wrong? Is it the squares are not all the same size? I don't see how that could happen as I copy and pasted them all but before I went into the pattern maker I minimised the whole shape so maybe that effected the shape of some of the squares? Is there a way I can adjust this pattern without creating it all again or am I missing something?

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 21.25.22.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 21.25.49.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 21.27.15.png

Thank you so much!

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Your rectangles are not lining up perfectly going across the artboard. They're a little off. For this to work, the tops and bottoms of rectangles, need to line up with the centers of the rectanges in the column of rectangles to the left and right.

I suggest you set up some Ruler Guides to help you line up everything perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please upload that Illustrator file toDropbox or the like?

I assume that some people would be willing to give it a try, but nobody will be willing to build it from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The illustrator file doesn't seem to load onto here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see to post a link which is view only from Dropbox...

rebeccal11099218 Tile Pattern

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your rectangles are not lining up perfectly going across the artboard. They're a little off. For this to work, the tops and bottoms of rectangles, need to line up with the centers of the rectanges in the column of rectangles to the left and right.

I suggest you set up some Ruler Guides to help you line up everything perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I will try this, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

to add to Jeff's statement- if you enlarge your work on screen that should help you to see what is not in alignment. Just a suggestion but helps me when I am doing such detailed work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines