Highlighted

Creating Small Shapes from Larger, Overlapping Paths

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a beginner in Illustrator, but after testing out all the different Pathfinder options I could not quite see if this is possible.

I've created a wagon wheel shape using circles and lines. Now I'd like to consider each section of the overlapping paths a different shape that can be filled with different colors. Is this possible?

The image blow is made of:

1 rectangle, 2 circles, and 3 lines. This was the easiest way I could think to draw a perfect wagon wheel quilt design. But now I cannot quite figure out how to get each area to be considered a different shape.

Gizerd_0-1603627981755.png

Thanks!

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Creating Small Shapes from Larger, Overlapping Paths

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a beginner in Illustrator, but after testing out all the different Pathfinder options I could not quite see if this is possible.

I've created a wagon wheel shape using circles and lines. Now I'd like to consider each section of the overlapping paths a different shape that can be filled with different colors. Is this possible?

The image blow is made of:

1 rectangle, 2 circles, and 3 lines. This was the easiest way I could think to draw a perfect wagon wheel quilt design. But now I cannot quite figure out how to get each area to be considered a different shape.

Gizerd_0-1603627981755.png

Thanks!

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try Live Paint.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 0
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gizerd,

Only 3 lines?

And what Ton said, of course.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah! Four lines obviously. :)--Thank you for pointing out my typo.

I will try live paint. Thank you for the feedback.

What I ended up doing in the meantime was using a rectangle to cut out an arch and then copy-paste-rotate them as 8 (16 total) different objects. With some fiddling I was able to get it quite precise--but it was a lot more work than just drawing the lines 🙂

--Elizabeth

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I solved my own problem with the Shape-Builder tool.

1. Create the shape using the circles and lines.

2. Select the whole pattern.

3. Use Shape-Builder and click inside a single shape.

4. Direct select the shape and move it off the original pattern.

5. I chose to go around the circle and remove each shape like a puzzle piece. I suppose there's nothing wrong with copy-paste-rotate either.

FYI:

Live Paint did color in each section--but I also needed the "puzzle" pieces. What a cool tool for me to have learned!! Thank you Ton and Jacob.

This is what I ultimately did with the graphic (and four others) for a digital interactive elementary lesson in case anyone is interested:

Gizerd_1-1603724949519.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are always many ways to get to the end result.

You could also have done it with Pathfinder panel Divide.

I filled the lines, ovals and rectangle with white, set the Pathfinder panel Precision in the Pathfinder Options to the smallest value. Used Divide and ungrouped the result.

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 17.00.44.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow look at that. Thanks! I'm going to play around with that too and learn it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Resources