• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating vector halftones

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a vector half tone that I can send through my film processor, but it will only recognize line art when I send it to print a film. 

My question is, is there a way to create a vector half tone effect that I can somehow convert to line art so that my processor is able to output a film besides creating it in PS and then importing with a live trace? 

TOPICS
Import and export , Third party plugins , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Try with Phantasm from Astute Graphics >> https://astutegraphics.com/plugins/phantasm

Here's a small tutorial: https://youtu.be/zAyGd3n4Z7g

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With line art you are referring to 1 bit images? Or to vector paths?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both kind of. The system only recognizes black and white. Black is my print area and White being a no print area. I normally create my artwork and designs with Vector paths and then just use only pure black and white to send them through.

When I create a layout for a design and then send it to my rip station it will only recognize black and white line art. It's an older system that runs off of brisque on the rip station. If I send a gradient to the system it sees the gradient as a "color" and does not recognize it as the vector line art and will not print it through my processor. 

I'm trying to create a gradient with halftones and then converting the halftone dots so the system can recognize it. 

I hope that makes sense. I can convert the gradient to a halftone with the pixelete, but then trying to convert the halftone to vector paths so my processor will recognize it is where I am stuck. Is it possible to convert it with out raterizing and then trying to do a image trace? ( tried that and the dots did not turn out well)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, fill your art or pieces of art that need the halftone effect first with a gradient fill. Next, choose the Effect menu, select Pixelate, then "Color Halftone". You can play around with the radius and angles to achieve the result you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try with Phantasm from Astute Graphics >> https://astutegraphics.com/plugins/phantasm

Here's a small tutorial: https://youtu.be/zAyGd3n4Z7g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I have actually looked in to this before. Do you know if you use this, if you switch to outline view can you see the outline of the halftone dots or no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you expand the effect it will be paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this only if you are using the Phantasm plugin?

I tried Effect>Pixelete>Halftone 

Radius was 8, angle sett all to 30 since I only need black and white.

When I go to Object> Expand is grayed out and I am anot able to select it. This is with out haveing Phantasm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Object > Expand appearance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Expand Appearance, but when I do that it just expands it out to a larger white box around the halftone gradient. When I switch to the outline view it only shows the outline of the box not the outline of all the halftone dots. Did I miss a step or do something out of order?

Expand AppearanceExpand AppearanceOutline viewOutline view

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you used Phantasm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No this is without using the Phantasm plugin. Will this only work with the plugin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Illustrator effect is pixel based.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Thank you for all of your help! I just wanted to make sure before we purchased the Phantasm plugin that it would work for what we are trying to achieve in converting them to paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know you can try before you buy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More of a detailed explanation.

The system only recognizes black and white. Black is my print area and White being a no print area. I normally create my artwork and designs with Vector paths and then just use only pure black and white to send them through.

When I create a layout for a design and then send it to my rip station it will only recognize black and white line art. It's an older system that runs off of brisque on the rip station. If I send a gradient to the system it sees the gradient as a "color" and does not recognize it as the vector line art and will not print it through my processor. 

I'm trying to create a gradient with halftones and then converting the halftone dots so the system can recognize it. 

I hope that makes sense. I can convert the gradient to a halftone with the pixelete, but then trying to convert the halftone to vector paths so my processor will recognize it is where I am stuck. Is it possible to convert it with out rasterizing and then trying to do an image trace? ( tried that and the dots did not turn out well)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I saw your tutorial and it is almost exactly what I really want, How can i change the circle dot by another symbol such as my logo or certain characters... below is the image i want to do.
Many thanks

ebf9f184054233.5d5039f5ca684.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could try this:

Use Object > Create Object Mosaic on an embedded grey image (be careful with the number of tiles).

Ungroup the result.

You need 2 scripts: 

Resize by Luminance: this will resize the tiles based on their grey values 

https://github.com/johnwun/js4ai/blob/master/sizeByLuminance.jsx

Zamena Size, this will replace the tiles with the topmost object and keep their size.

http://illustrator.hilfdirselbst.ch/dokuwiki/en/skripte/javascript/zamena_size

custom halftones.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines