Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cropping Blended abstract shapes onto packaging template

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I made a packaging template and have an abstract pattern made from the blend option on illustrator. I was wondering how to place the design onto the packaging so that it crops out in the shape of the package template (leaving out anything in the negative white space).

I've attached an image to the post.

Thank you so much.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use a clipping mask.

If you want toactually delete the unnecessary parts, expand the blend and then use the eraser tool. It will create imprecision in the paths and might create additional anchor points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried making a clipping mask by selecting all. Right clicking and then selecting create clipping mask. However I get this message.

Thanks for the reply!

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 8.18.43 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Select just the shape of the Bleed and Copy it (Edit > Copy).
  2. Select the object(s) you wish to Mask, then paste the copied Bleed shape in front (Edit > Paste in Front). 
  3. Select both the pasted bleed shape and what you wish to Mask.
  4. Go to Object > Clipping Mask > Make.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact same problem has happened to me today, and just like you said i tried making a clipping mask but the same error shows for me. Is there no other way to somehow crop out the unnecessary parts of a blended object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please the contents of the layers panel. and mark the path you want to use as a mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope your issue is resolved by now. We'd appreciate if you can mark the most appropriate response correct. If you used any other method, we'd request sharing the solution with us. It'll help other users with similar concern.

If you still have issue, please share the information asked in earlier responses.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines