Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crossed rectangles instead of text

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I am currently trying to modify an existing label, which has chinese and english text as well. 

When I try to open the pdf in illustrator however all the english text is replaced by crossed out rectangles.

If I try to type in the text box full of them, new text seem to display just fine, but the old text does not covert back. 

See the attached picture.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Daniel

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF is not meant top be an editor. Illustrator is much better for editing. Open the PDF in Illustrator. If you have the fonts loaded you will be good, otherwise you may need to outline the fonts.

If you still have trouble please post a copy of the .pdf , we can help you better. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like there may be unembedded fonts in your PDF. With the PDF open in Acrobat, go to File> Properties> Fonts, all fonts should say embedded or embedded subset. Illustrator is not a universal PDF editor and type changes are better made in the original program that created the PDF. You could try running an Acrobat preflight fixup to embed the fonts (Tools> Print Production> Preflight), then try re-opening the PDF in Illustrator. If that doesn't work, your best option might be to re-set the type from scratch and save as a new PDF.

embed preflight.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help, but it seems to be another issue, all the fonts are embedded or embedded subset. Sadly I do not have access to the original file from which the PDF was created.

Dániel5FCE_0-1598424407116.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would still try to run the preflight, even though the fonts appear to be embedded in Acrobat, you could also try running the preflight Fix Potential Font Problems.

Do you get a missing font message in Illustrator? Try replacing ArialNarrow-Bold font with a similar font on your system.

As a last resort, you can run the preflight Convert Fonts to Outlines, which will give you the same result as Monica's suggestion, although you will not be able to modify the type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the help!

There was no missing font message, and it wouldn't let me change the rectangles to a different font when highlighted. 
I have solved the problem by brute force and retyped all the text in Illustrator, this way the fonts worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue of missing fonts. They clearly were not embedded in the pdf and Illustrator will not do that for you. If you can't recover them through Acrobat and don't have them, then you will have to replace them or go to the source to try and get them to embed them into the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the fonts show in Acrobat, you can create a new Illustrator file. Place the PDF in it (linked) and then Object > Flatten transparency. Check Outline fonts. The text will be converted into paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines