• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator starts flashing on and off on screen?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed this flashing occurring on the last 2 updates of Illustrator (Currently 25.3), and it usually stops if I quit one of my more memory intensive programs like Photoshop, InDesign or Excel, I have 40 GB of additiopnal ram installed. Are the updated Illustrator much more memory intensive or is this some kind of bug? Please help.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. We tried, but couldn't replicate this behavior. We'd appreciate if you could share a few more details like:

• Operating System
  • Does turning off GPU Performance help resolving this issue?
  • Generate the logs(ZXP file) using Log Collector tool & share these files with us here or over DM.
  • A small video of the issue and a few sample files.

We'd be looking forward to your response!

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

I have had this issue for seveal updates now. On my system it is specifically related to the extra info popup for buttons in the UI. When hovering over buttons on the toolbar, the flickering occurs right before the extra info popups are displayed. When I turn this option off the flickering stops occuring. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Ive attached a screenshot, but it is in Dutch, sorry. Apparanlty I have to completely reinstall my apps to switch to the english international UI. Bizarre.

IngmarSpit_2-1646125770742.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact OS version are you on???

Sounds like a GPU preview issue.

Try View >> Using CPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FINALLY this totally fixed the issue for me.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: also seems to be an issue with Photoshop being open simultaneously.  The problem came back when I switched to Photoshop and disappeared when I closed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What totally fixed it for you? Pls help!!

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG THANK YOU!! Lol I have been freaking out about this for weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS Big Sur version 11.4

It only seems to happen with Illustrator. It is not the page of graphics flashing, its the tool bar, tabs and side windows (Colours, swatches, layers, artboards properties, etc) that are flashing on and off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try using CPU mode as I suggested.??? You can also disable byunchecking here. 

MikeGondek_0-1623384377399.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! it worked for me and finally got rid of the flicker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hero!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Yes I have. It only does it intermitantly, so I will wait and see.

Also just noticed InDesign do it too while Illustrator is open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an issue for some users with flashing, when multiple applications (between Illustrator, photoshop, InDesign) are open. Does the flashing also happen when you have only one of them open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also had this issue since the latest update, especially like you say when all Illustrator/Photoshop/InDesign are open together. It also carries on if I close all down and have one application open. It is very intermittent so hard to pin point what the issue is. Pretty frustrating.

I am due to upgrade my system soon (much better spec) so I will report back if this happens when I have finished building my new machine.

Running Windows btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I get this—on an M1 Mac mini) and have not just for 25.3 but for many of the betas and prereleases. Only soultion is to quit it and reboot the app. It only seems for me to happen when the screen saver has gone off and I've come back to work again in Ai.

But I'm also getting a flash of full screen pink colorfield upon opening any file. This only happens with 25.3 release version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We're sorry to hear about your experience. Would it be possible for you to share the details below:

1. Version of OS & Illustrator.

2. Do you see this behavior while performing a specific task?

3. Does disabling GPU Performance under Preferences > Performance help?

4. Please share system information available under Help > System Info & A small video of this workflow.(you can upload it on Creative Cloud & share the link with us).

This information would help us assist you accordingly. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what it is now. If I open an illustrator file via Bridge I get the pink screen flash. Otherwise, notsomuch. Happens when either dragging a file from Bridge to the Illustrator icon in the dock or double clicking in Bridge.

Mac mini M1. Ai 25.3. MacOS 11.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also get the flash of pink screen when I drag a file from the app Pixave to illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh

The specs are as follows:

1. OS - mac OS Big Sur version 11.4, AI - version 25.3

2. Seems to be random, however it does seem to come up more when I click to draw a shape and the mesurements window pops open, then it likes to flash.

3. I have disabled the GPU, it has still occurred, but less often

4. As it is pretty random, getting a video  is difficult. System info is attached it text file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the information. Let us investigate this. I'll get back once I have an update or need more details.

I appreciate your patience in the meantime. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I tried to reproduce the issue but wasn't able to do it. We'd appreciate if you can generate the logs(ZXP file) using Log Collector tool & share these files with us here or over DM. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,
the issue seen in the attached video occurs both on my laptop and stationary PC: Layers in my document just partly disappear while i write or move textboxes, until they somehow get "reloaded" when i select them or zoom. It seems to me that the objects themselves are unharmed while beeing displayed incorrectly. Does anyone have an idea to what might be the cause of this or how to fix the issue?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kllkuvcp8pasq2c/1984%20plakat%20nr.%202%20vers.%203.ai_%20%40%2023%2C08%20...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue does not occure when i work in isolation mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the video. I would request if you could share the logs files and sample ai files as well.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Adobe Illustrator v. 25.3.1 has a badly flickering white background on a Mac M1.

That did not occur in v. 24.

I had to switch back to beta.

The beta version 25.4 does not flicker, so there is nothing wrong with the computer itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines