Highlighted

Cursor Flickers in Illustrator(2019) when Photoshop is open On Mac Mojave

Participant ,
Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have seen this behavior prevalent through the years and it is something has bugged me and continues to bug me. For whatever reason, when I have Illustrator open and then go to work on supporting elements in Photoshop, when I switch back to Illustrator with Photoshop still open, the cursor in Illustrator acts chaotically when just moving the mouse. It doesn't matter what tool is selected, the cursor wigs out and flickers between the selected tool and default OS cursor.  This behavior does go away once I close Photoshop and return back to Illustrator.

Here is a link to the Flickering Cursor in Action: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ox9nxnavjo4t7g9/Flickering%20Cursor.mov?dl=0

Can someone please look into this?

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 11.39.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 11.40.07 AM.png

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Cursor Flickers in Illustrator(2019) when Photoshop is open On Mac Mojave

Participant ,
Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have seen this behavior prevalent through the years and it is something has bugged me and continues to bug me. For whatever reason, when I have Illustrator open and then go to work on supporting elements in Photoshop, when I switch back to Illustrator with Photoshop still open, the cursor in Illustrator acts chaotically when just moving the mouse. It doesn't matter what tool is selected, the cursor wigs out and flickers between the selected tool and default OS cursor.  This behavior does go away once I close Photoshop and return back to Illustrator.

Here is a link to the Flickering Cursor in Action: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ox9nxnavjo4t7g9/Flickering%20Cursor.mov?dl=0

Can someone please look into this?

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 11.39.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 11.40.07 AM.png

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mojave No Bueno, Do not run in dark mode if you are.

Bug: Illustrator Not Usable Since Mojave Update – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Known issues - Running Photoshop CC on macOS 10.14 Mojave

Try changing accessibility to add Photoshop CC2019 to apps allowed to control computer

if none of this helps downgrade to High Sierra.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not running in Dark Mode. This is not directly attributed to Mojave. It has been prevalent in both previous OS versions and in previous Illustrator and Photoshop builds.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Command E to toggle out of GPU preview mode.  You can tell what mode you are in to the right of the filename where the colorspace shows.

Besides that let us know what modification you have to your  OS and Illustrator. Even a wacom driver being the wrong version could be the culprit.

You can also run diagnosics on your hardware

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

Good to do that every year or so, as I have found ram chips that needed replacing and the computers ran much better afterwards.

Does the tool work properly? Looks like the command key is being tapped by a bad keyboard or software interference?

Good luck, you are on mac so am confident we can eventually get to the bottom of this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike!

No, it is not a GPU issue. The behavior is observed with GPU turned on and off. There is no modification to OS or Illustrator. This is a brand new iMac that I am working on, no one else has used it out of the box beside me. And I started using it about a month ago. There are no keyboard commands setup and no Wacom drivers as I have never used Wacom.

I would like to point out that this behavior has been observed by me over the years both in Mac and PC environments. And through multiple Windows and OS versions. So when I mentioned that it has been prevalent, it has been prevalent.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening all the time, or does this go away after you restart your computer?

As a consultant who fixes computers for a few ad agencies, people usually do not call about this issue as it goes away after restarting app or computer. I have experienced myself a few times but could not pinpoint the exact reason as done a few things and the issue went away. Usually wacom driver changes (especially since they came out with the touch tablets) or  resetting the cookies in browsers on windows helped.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the problem goes away when closing down Photoshop or Illustrator. No, it doesn't happen all the time. I posted the behavior/experience because I can't pinpoint the issue/cause either. I don't usually have to restart the mac unless I have the spinning beachball of death.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try moving your Photoshop memory setting (under performance) to the left.

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 9.24.18 AM.png

Or even better if you can do a RAM upgrade, even16gb would put in in a better spot for running Photoshop and other apps simultaneously.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue as OP, but I have 16GB of ram.

The problem goes away when I minimize Photoshop on my Mac. When both screens are open the issue returns and it's killing me.

Any solution would be awesome.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We are so sorry to hear about this issue. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

• OS (Exact version of Windows/MAC)
  • Version of Illustrator
  • Did you try updating Graphics card?

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are extremely sorry about this frustrating experience. You are right, this issue was reported on Windows in previous versions. The root cause of this issue was a third party Adware. Please let us know if you have installed any latest plugin or application. Also, please check how Illustrator works in Root account: How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root password - Apple Support.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have provided screens to answer your questions at the beginning of this post.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue is not connected to any adware. I did install additional RAM so now I have a total of 24 GB of memory (vs having a total of 8 GB when I first posted about this). But the flickering still persisted.

Next, I did only adjust one thing and the flickering behavior has stopped for the moment. I have not tested this extensively.

The one thing that I adjusted was turning off GPU performance handling for both Photoshop and Illustrator. I didn't adjust the amount of RAM to be used (I have left that at the default setting).

I am still testing this because I did see the flickering behavior happening in Pages Program with Photoshop and Illustrator programs open (with GPU performance enabled).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, turning off GPU for both Illustrator and Photoshop did not work for long. Flickering behavior is back.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mikey

Wanted to check back as I genuinely want to help you resolve this. Best way is to ask some more questions which should give you some ideas to try, but know this is in no way  an interrogation

1. How often does this happen?
  2. Do you have anything installed besides the Mac OS & Adobe Creative suite.
  3. does minimizing your app have the same result as ZSousa451
  4. do you have a wired mouse  you can try to rule out wireless interference & tracking issues
  5. have you done the hardware test, on your ram
  6. have you run disk utility to fix permissions (guess it is called first aid now in High Sierra so probably also Mojave)
  7. would you be ok with resetting the cookies in your browser (you may lose some usernames/password defaults, but yes mac has  virus/mallware 
  8. have you resetting your prefs - best and more thorough to quit all apps and move these folders to your desktop

/Users/YOURUSERNMAME/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings

/Users/YOURUSERNMAME/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 23 Settings

new folders will auto generate, but you can quit the apps and copy back to restore if you like your prefs

ZSousa451​ feel free to chime in, but are you also on Mojave?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear the RAM did not help. If you run the hardware test and shows your initial ram chip was not working 100%, than take it out.

Good luck!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are sorry to hear that issue is still not fixed. Have you tried the steps I shared above?

srishtib8795206  wrote

Please check how Illustrator works in Root account: How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root password - Apple Support.

Along with the information asked by Mike, please try updating Graphics Card drivers and let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI - I have this flickering cursor tool tip issue in Illustrator CC19 (on iMac Pro running Mojave 10.14.4) drives me nuts because it takes several attempts to actually grab an achor point and actually do what you want to do (usually you have to zoom right in). I didn't think it was anything to do with PhotoShop being open at the same time but having read the opening question I quit PhotoShop and the flickering stopped. Re opened photoshop and it seems fine now (for now at least).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try the solution in here: Flickering Cursor

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to have worked for me. Also there are problems with 1Password open at the same time. I didn’t have the issue with Photoshop until I installed my Wacom drivers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution in another thread that fixed my problem. Adding it below below so every one can try this.

After having descaled the UI to original scale (smallest) and unchecking "adjust cursor proportionally" the problem seems to have been resolved for me.

Hopefully this might help for you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this tip. It's completely asinine that I pay $50/month for this and an issue like this hasn't been fixed since 2014 and Adobe's response is buy more RAM??? Viable Illustrator alternatives can't happen fast enough.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be working for me! After 4 years of this problem through 4 different Os e 2 different computers and Adobe support being completely useless. THANK YOU!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, Thanks mate. Working for me. After years.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS right here seems to resolve the issue, Thank you. 

I spent HOURS with Adobe tech suport, letting them control my computer setup etc, and they could not fix anything. 

To Adobe, This issue virtually makes Illustrator Useless for allot of people that pay u Monthly fees, and you should really fix it! thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i wish it worked for me 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same - there doesn't seem to be a defintive reason for it starting and there isn't a definitive way to fix it. Sometimes it dosen't happen and sometimes it does. It makes doing my job nearly impsossible and in a world where I dealing with a global pandemic, a massive recession and a fire approaching my home--this is NOT something I want to deal with. Adobe, fix it. None of the "We're so sorry to hear that issue is still not fixed. Have you tried steps X, Y & Z" We've all tried and everything and there's no consistent fix. A basic, key function of the software doesn't work for a lot of people when it has for literally decades. FIX IT.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
omegap7 LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS!! ADOBE FIX IT!!! WE ARE GOING INSANE ITS BEEN 5 YEARS

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines