• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cursor isn't changing to show current tool

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! My cursor isn't changing in Illustrator 2020. It's constantly a black arrow no matter which tool I am using. I'm attaching a screen grab video. I'm using the pen, direct select, rectangle, then type...and it just stays a black arrow. Thanks for your help!

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Started working again with a reinstall. Thanks for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computer restart doesn't solve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Started working again with a reinstall. Thanks for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ilustrator is sooooo buggy these days, with loads of weird things happening like this, also no regard for standards, odd User experiences ... I don't know what's going on with them... I've been using Adobe since page maker 1.0 ... Illustrator just keeps getting worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please create a new thread, describe your issues precisely and then someone can try to help you. This is a public forum with 95% of participants being not staff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree - I could list numerous buggy behaviors in the most recent 3-4 versions of Illustrator.  It's getting very difficult to work without stopping to troubleshoot and visit forums that are so varying that it's hard to zero in on a specifc bug.  I seriously long for the old days of Macromedia Freehand, which Adobe bought a killed.  Adobe needs to get more serious about making current versions work flawlessly BEFORE they release anything new!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2023 and this is still a problem for me. I don't know if I can reinstall these programs anymore. I might have to give up being a designer and just dig ditches. At least shovels always work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Matthewmehi  schrieb:

It's 2023 and this is still a problem for me. I don't know if I can reinstall these programs anymore. I might have to give up being a designer and just dig ditches. At least shovels always work. 

If you feel unable to solve these problems, then maybe contact Customer Care and have them do it for you on your computer.

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Felt this deep in my soul lol. I'm right there with you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this same issue with 2023 and just updated to 2024 hoping that the problem would go away but it didn't. Restart does not work. Someone please fix this bug. It is extremely annoying. Attached picture is my computer and OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @jasonr77677023,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Would you mind trying to run Illustrator under a different administrator account (Windows / macOS) and checking if it helps?

If the problem persists, kindly share a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/49nfVjZ) so that we can investigate this further?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I just had the same issue.

This last-ditch DIY fix happened to work:

- Illustrator -> Settings -> Selection & Anchor Display

I then un-clicked (deactivated) all boxes that were currently clicked, then re-clicked them to reactivate, then I pressed "Ok" to save the settings.

Out of sheer luck, it worked - the mouse pointer now changes with each tool as before.

Hope that works for everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ahve the same problem - very annoying!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @ajdewey,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind trying to run Illustrator under a different administrator account (Windows / macOS) and checking if it helps? If the problem persists, kindly share more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, your workflow details, and a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/3GRTzdp), so we can investigate this further.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2024 Mar 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where is the video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Darmawan362956490d3e  schrieb:

where is the video?

The author has probably deleted that video from wherever they uploaded it.

If you have a problem I would suggest, you describe it. It would be best to create a new thread for that purpose. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me too. A reinstall yesterday fixed it, but today it started happening again. I have no idea what causes it, however, having to uninstall and reinstall isn't exactly conducive to a smooth workflow. Is there a fix that is less of a PITA? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which system?

Do you have any system extension or mouse driver installed that messes with the cursor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @dDembicki,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind trying to run Illustrator under Safe Mode (Windows / macOS) and checking if it helps? Also, try running Illustrator under a different administrator account (Windows / macOS) and share your observations.

If the problem persists, kindly share more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator and a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/3JdZGJV), so we can investigate this further?

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines