Highlighted

Custom Brush / Technique Question

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I've been wracking my brain to try and create a custom brush that mirrors a lot of what I'd normally do in AutoCAD (I'm an architect) and I just can't quite seem to get it right. Essentially, I'm looking to use vectorized topographic data (a lot of it) to show how existing grades and water flow function on a given site. We'd typically do this, very crudely, by hand by placing field arrows in CAD -- however -- I had an idea that doing something similar to the photo I've attached might be more accurate and faster in Illustrator. A couple of problems keep eluding me -- first any type of arrowhead I use whether as a compound path or stroke arrowhead always gets funky at odd paths or corners (see photo). I've tried breaking up the paths into straight line segments, simplifying paths, layering an art brush on top of a pattern brush -- all to no avail. The second issue I'm running into is how to do this at a scale whereby I'm not editing 100K points forever thus defeating the purpose of even making this drawing! Any or all ideas are welcome! This one has our office stumped.

Capture.JPG

J. 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

Pattern brushes always get deformed. You could apply a scatter brush together with a second stroke for the line.

Like in this example:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-14 um 15.52.14.png

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Custom Brush / Technique Question

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I've been wracking my brain to try and create a custom brush that mirrors a lot of what I'd normally do in AutoCAD (I'm an architect) and I just can't quite seem to get it right. Essentially, I'm looking to use vectorized topographic data (a lot of it) to show how existing grades and water flow function on a given site. We'd typically do this, very crudely, by hand by placing field arrows in CAD -- however -- I had an idea that doing something similar to the photo I've attached might be more accurate and faster in Illustrator. A couple of problems keep eluding me -- first any type of arrowhead I use whether as a compound path or stroke arrowhead always gets funky at odd paths or corners (see photo). I've tried breaking up the paths into straight line segments, simplifying paths, layering an art brush on top of a pattern brush -- all to no avail. The second issue I'm running into is how to do this at a scale whereby I'm not editing 100K points forever thus defeating the purpose of even making this drawing! Any or all ideas are welcome! This one has our office stumped.

Capture.JPG

J. 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

Pattern brushes always get deformed. You could apply a scatter brush together with a second stroke for the line.

Like in this example:

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 20, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple answer: Invest in the CAD Tools and Astute plug-ins. They have proper parametric CAD-compliant arrows and tools like perpendicular alignment, intelligent path optimization or even proper collision detection with offsets to place objects. Some of it will be redundant with ACAD, but those could be the best 400 bucks you ever invested and if you do this stuff a lot, it will pay for itself.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how did you produce that example? With a pattern brush?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. I created the arrow and pattern brush in that same drawing and applied it to that stroke as a test.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like in this example:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020 0