• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom plot markers

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just getting started with Illustrator and am trying to use it to make a scatter plot with some custom (but not that unique) markers. I would like some of the data points on the attached file to be triangles instead of the standard squares or circles. I have read in tutorial material that I can select the group that is a certain data series, then go to Object > Graph > Marker to insert a custom shape (such as a .eps or .pdf file of the shape that I would like the marker to be), but for some reason when I do this, the option is grayed out and I am unable to select it. 

Any help on what I need to do differently to make this method work, or another effective method for doing this would be great!

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

You need to create it in relation to the default marker. Then put a square the size of the existing marker in the background (no stroke, no fill).

I cannot understand why the other markers are reverting, but graphs are ancient after all and tend to mess them selves up.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to create the marker design in the file.

The process is the same as creating a custom bar.

Please see here: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/graphs.html#adding_pictures_and_symbols_to_graphs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I follow this guide, it allows me to change the markers, but it impacts other data as well. The other markers are reverted back to their default, and I cannot use the group select tool to change them all at once. Additionally, the marker size for the one that I created cannot be changed, and it is much smaller than the size that I created it to be. green triangle.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need to create it in relation to the default marker. Then put a square the size of the existing marker in the background (no stroke, no fill).

I cannot understand why the other markers are reverting, but graphs are ancient after all and tend to mess them selves up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines