• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom text frame to a custom shape

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have accidentally clicked on a custom shape with my text tool and converted it to a text frame. I did it a while ago, so undo is not an option. I would like to convert it back to just a shape. I cannot find how to do this. This happens occasionally which makes selecting the frame harder.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Ha! There is an easier way! Delete any text from the shape. Use the direct select tool to select the edge of the path. In the Appearance panel give the shape a fill or stroke. Use the selection tool to reselect the shape. Go to Type>Create Outlines and all will be well in the world again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure this posted to the correct forum? Clicking a shape with Illustrator's Type tool doesn't convert it to a text frame, but this does happen in InDesign.

In InDesign the fix would be Object > Content > Unassigned...

And a preventive measure: Preferences > Type > (un-tick) Type Tool Converts Frames to Text Frames

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking on a shape with the type tool in Illustrator does convert the shape to an area type frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphicability  wrote

Clicking on a shape with the type tool in Illustrator does convert the shape to an area type frame.

I see that now . . . so long as you click directly on the on the path. Apparently, it's never happened here, and with as common an occurrence as it can be in InDesign, I impulsively responded in that context. I apologize for the misdirection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, it is easy to get distracted by how similar the products are, and are not! I constantly have to remind myself which program does what thing in each context...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you really need to convert it back to a non-text shape? If you use the direct select tool instead of the selection tool you can click on the path edge and edit the path, stroke and fill it, etc.

But if you really want to, John's reply above hints at a workaround. Delete any text in the shape. Then select the path as I suggest with the direct select tool and give it a fill or stroke. Copy it and paste it into indesign. Select the InDesign shape and paste it back into Illustrator, select it again and go to Object>Clipping Mask>Release, Go to View>Outlines so you can see the rectangular mask , select that rectangle and delete, go back to View>Preview.

Phew. Maybe someone has an easier way that lets you stay in Illustrator, but this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! There is an easier way! Delete any text from the shape. Use the direct select tool to select the edge of the path. In the Appearance panel give the shape a fill or stroke. Use the selection tool to reselect the shape. Go to Type>Create Outlines and all will be well in the world again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geez, some days I just can't stop myself from doing things  the hard way. Easiest yet, Use the group selection tool or hold option/alt while clicking with the direct select tool on the edge path of the shape. Copy and paste. Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michael,

Your solutions worked great. The trick seems to be the fill or stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you saw my last post about just copy and paste it. Today was one of those days where my brain wanted to work harder than it needed to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did. It would be easier to just select with direct select and add fill or stroke, leaving it a text frame, than to go through InDesign. I know I don't need to convert the now text frame back to a shape, but it makes it much easier to select when you haven't settled on the appearance and are trying different things with the shape, especially when it is amongst other objects. I am a certified Adobe trainer and it bugs the heck out of me when I can't figure something out, or there is no info available. Thanks again for your solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just used your  tip, Michael. Great one indeed. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines