Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cut/ Trace Slice..whatever

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I am fairly new to illustrator. I'm working on website design images of t shirts that i will be creating. i have had luck using canva and recently switched over to Illustrator.

Wht i'm trying to accomplish for a particular design is to outline an image and for the fill to be transparent? 

I've done something similar in cricut design space where i placed my image over a white rectangle and used their "slice" option and it produced three different layers. i've played around with image trace but i seem to end up with the reverse of what i want. I can get the image outlined, but once i place it on top of a rectangle the portion i want to be transparent no longer is.

any thoughts? i've attached a picture of the image im using. essentialy i want everything that is green to be transparent. this isnt necessary for me to get my design into production  as it is for me to place on a mock t shirt for my website

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You want to end up with just an outline, like this?

Doug_A_Roberts_0-1593159896667.png

If so, you initially want a silhouette from Image Trace. Then click 'Expand' in the Properties panel or Control bar, select the leaf ans press Shift+X to reverse the fill and stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines