Highlighted

Cutting out Text

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I was wanting to cut out text from the background for projects.

Cutting a letter in half, for example, the top of an S and the bottom as two separate colors/patterns or to have the text cut out of the background so the artboard.

I tried using Minus Front and also creating paths with the text (maybe I'm doing it wrong, so if I am, please tell me) through Object-Path-Outline Stroke. I found a work-around for this project, but I was curious if someone could point me in the right direction. Like, if I were to want the text to be red and blue with white behind them (so the letters are the color of the flag you see behind it).

Any thoughts?

msigurdhall_0-1588376835916.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ton Frederiks | Adobe Community Professional

Clipping mask or Opacity masks are the way to go.

Make layers with grouped orange and grouped blue rectangles and put the same text above them.

Select the orange group and the text and choose Object Clipping Mask > Make

Repeat for the blue.

colors clipped.png

Topics

Draw and design, How to, Tools, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Cutting out Text

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I was wanting to cut out text from the background for projects.

Cutting a letter in half, for example, the top of an S and the bottom as two separate colors/patterns or to have the text cut out of the background so the artboard.

I tried using Minus Front and also creating paths with the text (maybe I'm doing it wrong, so if I am, please tell me) through Object-Path-Outline Stroke. I found a work-around for this project, but I was curious if someone could point me in the right direction. Like, if I were to want the text to be red and blue with white behind them (so the letters are the color of the flag you see behind it).

Any thoughts?

msigurdhall_0-1588376835916.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ton Frederiks | Adobe Community Professional

Make layers with grouped orange and grouped blue rectangles and put the same text above them.

Repeat for the blue.

colors clipped.png

Topics

Draw and design, How to, Tools, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

m,

As I (mis)undertstand it, to have flag colours shown in the letters you can:

Turn the text, which may be live Type, black, then select that and the flag, then in the Transparency palette (flyout) click Make (Opacity) Mask with both Clip and Invert Mask ticked (in the main Transparency palette).

To have the background show through the flag as the letters, you can use black with both Clip and Invert Mask unticked, or you can use white with Clip unticked and Invert Mask ticked.

For other combinations of what you wish to see, you can use different combinations of white/black Type and ticking/unticking Clip/Invert Mask.

And you can also use the white Type/text as it is, just tick/untick Invert Mask to the opposite of that used with black.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't exactly what I'm looking for. My quick mockup in Photoshop probably better illustrates what I was trying (and may need in the future). Obviously, I don't want this to be habit because of the difference between vector and pixel artwork.

Do you see how the flag is represented in the colors of the text? This was what I was trying to do, in some capacity.

Thanks for the response.

msigurdhall_0-1589031517838.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repeat for the blue.

colors clipped.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom! This got me in the right direction. I think I did it the way you said and got what appears to be the same thing you did, which was the original intention! Thank you so much for your help!

msigurdhall_0-1589044333254.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that helped.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

m,

"This isn't exactly what I'm looking for."

Actuallly this (first understanding) from my first post,

As I (mis)understand it, to have flag colours shown in the letters you can:

Turn the text, which may be live Type, black, then select that and the flag, then in the Transparency palette (flyout) click Make (Opacity) Mask with both Clip and Invert Mask ticked (in the main Transparency palette).

would give you exactly what you showed in your latest post, if you placed the live Type in the same size/position on top of your flag.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines