Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deal with Overset on Path Text

Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

i am currently fiddling with overset texts for a script. In my script the TextAreaObject content gets replaced by a new string. In the case it becomes overset, due to the length or different character widths it should be scaled down to fit the area. For that i am using the Script by Vasily Hall : Adobe Illustrator Variable Data​: dealing with overset text

Some of the Files have Text on Paths and the script i mentioned doesn't work on them. After a search in the Internet and documentations there seems to be no way to detect overset on a Pathtext.

Is there any way to prevent an overset on a pathtext?

Thanks

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Hey, check out the updated script- it turned out that Path text works almost just like Area text and should take care of your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

check the script by moluapple about fixing AreaText overflown text, you might be able to use the same technique on pathText

illustrator javascript for "Identify overset text in a text frame and reduce the font size"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, check out the updated script- it turned out that Path text works almost just like Area text and should take care of your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a workaround with the OverSet Script.

I created a reference TextArea that would match the Pathtext. After applying the Overset Script to the TextArea I use the font size of the TextArea on the PathText and delete the TextArea.

Maybe someone will find this workaround useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you can download my updated script and it's updated to work on the path text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did and it worked. Thank you. I thought i already had the newest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to your question here, I updated it real quick, so quick that nobody even noticed! It was a real quick update, and if you did not inquire as to this feature, I may have already thought it was good to go and never thought about it. But since you have done so, now countless future users will benefit and possibly create high revenue projects to benefit society for years to come!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Silly-V where can I find your updated script I have a script call "Dealwiththeoversettext" which does not resize text to fit. Thanks  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is here: https://github.com/Silly-V/Adobe-Illustrator/blob/master/Dataset%20Processing/DealWithOversetText_Si...

When you use it and your variables datasets are on the very 1st one, it records the font-size for use as the default later. Every time you switch datasets and play this script, it will use the default value to snap back the text's size to the default one recorded on the 1st dataset.

Next it will reduce the font size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines