• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete Current (CS6) Illustrator Preferences on Mac OS X Lion

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been unsuccessful in locating the Adobe Illustrator Preferences file on my computer.  I am working my way through the lessons in Classroom In a Book for Illustrator, and you are asked to delete the current preferences prior to starting each lesson (this ensures the panels, etc, work in accordance with the text).  I use a Mac with Lion as my operating system and, as instructed, went to my Library folder to find the "Adobe Illustrator CS6 Settings/en_US" file, yet it is nowhere to be found.  I have saved files (which should result in the creation of a preference file) and closed and re-opened Illustrator.  Nothing seems to be working and/or produce the preference file.  Has anyone had any trouble with this? 

Many thanks in advance.

Sarah

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

The file wont get generated until you make a change in the prefences within Illustrator. If you customize preferences, then only the file gets generated. try making some changes in Illustrator preferences and you'll see the file getting generated in the mentioned location.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its the wrong location. The correct location is: Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator CS6 Settings/en_US/Adobe Illustrator Prefs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mistake for not including the full location description...that is where I have been looking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Illustrator. Your current settings are deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mike.  I have been doing this in order to move through the lessons -- and have experienced no problems -- yet wondered why the file seems to be amiss???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file wont get generated until you make a change in the prefences within Illustrator. If you customize preferences, then only the file gets generated. try making some changes in Illustrator preferences and you'll see the file getting generated in the mentioned location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see.  Thanks Shnath.  It makes complete sense, now.  I was under the impression that changes were made to the preferences simply by working within the program and saving files.  This explanation is appreciated.

Sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Library file for each user is now a hidden file in OSX 10.7 and above. Do a google search on ways to make it visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After sercahing I found that the directory for CS6 preferences is actually hidden in your USERNAME directory. You first need to unhide all the folders to access the preference files. See http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/productivity/how-to-reveal-your-library-folder-in-lion-or-mountain...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines