• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete missing link from AI file

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2011 Jul 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I delete a missing, unwanted linked file from an AI file? The referenced link is completely gone and is not needed. It can't be relinked or removed since it no longer exists. It is has been a phantom for as long as I have been using the AI file and I would like to clear the "Could not find the linked file" pop up every time I load the AI file. Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Click on Object>Show All from top menu. Now you can see and select the empty container or embedded images or links that show up, and hit delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

there is another way to clear the unwanted or missing that is no longer needed in AI.

1. Select the missing/unwanted link from the link window then select 'Go To Link'(second button from the left)and it will show you where is the location of the missing link.

2. Then go to edit and then select 'clear'

then it will clear up the missing/unwanted link from your link window.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it present in the Links Panel? Drag it to the trash icon on the panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't any trash icon in the panel window. Only four options are available: relink, go to link, update link and edit original and only the first two are active.

Screen shot 2011-07-29 at 7.55.53 PM.pngScreen shot 2011-07-29 at 7.56.15 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay... click the second from the left button.. that will take you tot he place on the artboard where the linked file is. Then you can select and delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2011 Jul 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid the "Go to Link" button takes me nowhere. I can select and click on it but nothing happens. The window that would normally open that shows the link location never appears.

I resolved the glitch by rebuilding the original AI file layer by layer until I found the layer that had the phantom linked file. Took me a while but it solved the problem. Thanks for your help Scott.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 31, 2011 Jul 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can happen if the missing link object is locked.  Unlock all, ("Object->unlock all" or Command-Shift-2)  and then use the "go to link" button to select it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2011 Aug 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And before using the "Go to Link" command try zooming in to as small a view as possible (6400%). Unless you accidentally picked the exact spot of the missing link file, it should move the view so the anchor point or center of the file is centered in the window. I find it useful to do this especially with lost fonts which often are just stray anchor points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bingo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2011 Aug 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like what you have to do is find the layer that the objects are linked to and trash the layers...  They may be on layers you're not using or have turned off so you have to check them all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as the OP. All I want to do is remove the links. The linked files are long gone and have no value anyway. I can't delete layers of the image, because they =are= needed. Adobe didn't see fit to put a trash can at the bottom of the links window, how do we delete the links, and only the links?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue and could not "unlock" or drag the broken links to the trash can. My solution was to update the links to an existing image file, and then delete the image from the artboard. That removed it from the link panel for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2013 Sep 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the method I received from Adobe:

> After opening the file, select one of the missing linked files. Click

> the "Linked File" hyperlink in the bar under the menu. A dialog will pop

> up listing linked files, missing ones with a red cross. If you layer's

> panel is open, you can go through the missing linked files by using the

> "Go To Link" button at the bottom of that dialog, select the linked file

> in the layer's panel and use its trashcan.

>

> Rinse and repeat.

Worked for me. BTW the Illustrator file I was working on (and which I did not create) had more than 250 linked files, which I deleted one at a time according to the method. So it's clear why it would be advantageous to have a "select all broken links" / "delete all" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2014 Jul 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There really should be a trash on there....2 ver after your post nothing yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2015 Aug 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ramblerdan‌ Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images are there.

Just CRTL-A to mark everything and you see where the images are.

Then you can select the image you want to remove, and the link vanishes too.

Good Luck ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you yo-paisan! This is where the problem is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's so funny to me that people still comment on this thread. 2011 is when it started, and yet this error still exists. While it's a common sight on Adobe's apps, in this case it's not because an unresolved bug, it is because it's fundemantle part of the system, and a very flawed one. Links breaks, this is a truth Adobe never really cared about, or at least cared too little down the line. The truth is this very bug, that ruined me months of work, is the reason why I left Adobe for good. After more than a decade of work with it and countless escalations support cases to the highest levels, that was the last straw. In 2020 I moved to Affinity Designer and never looked back. There, like on all modern software, there are no links to files. Just files as part of the main file or package. It's the only logical way to work, and it has been for a long time. The only thing Adobe is good for is Firefly, that is not even related to Illustrator. I can't recommend it enough: Affinity. Do yourself a favor and move, just a little time to get used to it and you'll thank me. It saved my sanity and work, it can do the same to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This actions work. But I have to do something more. Firstly, click Object - Unlock All, and, secondly, click Object - Show All. Then you could go to link and delete it. If it doesn't work - relink on something else to see linked file and delete the link finally. Hope it will help. Best regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An easier way I just discovered for Adobe Illustrator CC:

* click Window - Links (to open Link window)

* click 3rd icon from the left "Go To Link" option (this shows you the selection of what's missing on the artboard)

* press Delete key on your keyboard to delete missing from the artboard (this will automatically delete its link in the Link window)

* save file

Tada!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have almost the same problem and I couldn't solve it. Problem is that I have deleted the layer(s) that had the linked files in it. The images are scanned artwork and after placing them in the layer I draw the shapes as an Illustrator vector file. When everything is done I delete the layers with the scanned files.

Since I'm working with custom patterns and brushes usually I copy such a file and start a new project. Now if I check the link window there are 5 linked images from a previous project. Until now I couldn't delete these links. If I handle such a project file over to my customer he always gets these error messages that the linked file couldn't be found. Sure he can check to ignore them all but it doesn't look very professional that way.

How can I get rid of these brocken links?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on Object>Show All from top menu. Now you can see and select the empty container or embedded images or links that show up, and hit delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Object > Show All" is the answer for broken/missing link that is unclickable/undraggable and can't delete for unknown reason. thank u

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! You're a life saver 🙂 Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the only solution that worked for me! THANK YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines