• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete portion of jpg after clipping mask

New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am making a poster (24 x 36) with multiple jpg photos (44 photos all different sizes) that I have sized using clipping masks. When I'm done and ready to export (both to pdf and jpg - either will work in the end), the file is too large to upload to the printing company. How can I either reduce the final size of the file (jpg or pdf)? I've tried flattening, but I don't think that's the issue.

I have read several posts on deleting excess content outside the mask, but they are all talking about vector items rather than photos. I'm wondering if there's a better way than the eraser tool.

I am using Adobe CC - Illustrator 24.2.1

Thank you!

Elizabeth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much of what you wrote is not logical usage of Adobe products, but fear not you have come to the right place. jpg is an rgb digital format, printing in CMYK 99.5% of the time unless your printer is doing a backlit Lambda.

You should talk with your printer about this to ensure your poster prints correctly. I can estimate that at 24x36" you could save a PDF at 200dpi with high quality on the compression for your pdf, which would give you a smaller file size and not sacrifice minimal quality that would be hard to notice.

If your project is all photos, you could have done this in Photoshop, which would be easier/faster

The eraser tool will not work on photos in Illustrator.

Try opening your .ai file (with pdf compatible turned on) in photoshop to bitmap and save your pdf from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Elizabeth,

How about this for rectangular clipping/cropping?

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/user-guide.html/illustrator/using/crop.ug.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines