Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deleting non-visible parts from layers

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've got an issue with the pathfinder (or maybe I just don't get how to use it properly?).

I have got two seperate layers in my project. One of them (the background/white parts to be specific) was being created by duplicating the layer of the foreground (green parts), setting surface color to none and contouring with white. Then I converted the contouring to a seperate path and used the shape-creator tool to fill all the spaces where it should be plain white.

So far so good, the problem I'm facing is that there are a bunch of spots where the contour is overlapping with the surfaces I've set to color "none" before.

My guess was that i may just use the pathfinder and delete all hidden spaces, and it seems to do the job, but it always moves all white and green parts in the same group.

I have to prepare this graphic for silkscreen printing, so my goal was to have both layers in the project and then switching the layers to visible/invisible and printing them. But with all of the layers in the same group the risk of missing some paths is just too high because I'd have to select them one by one.

Is there any way to prevent pathfinder to move them in the same group?

Another alternative that crossed my mind would be selecting the white/green areas (same -> surface color) and making them invisible one by one; they'd at least be marked in the layers section, but that doesn't seem to work either when they're in the same group.

I hope that anybody can help me because I'm starting to lose my mind over this.

Added a picture which might help to understand what I mean.

Orange paths: white parts/background

Pink paths: green/foreground

Cheers!

Pathfinder.png

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Pathfinder Merge should help to get rid of the overlapping objects.

Ungroup the result.

And as suggested select the same colors. Select a green object, choose Select > Same > Fill Color

Move the selection to its own layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you select by colour you can then lock those items before doign path cutting? but may not work if you want to cut shapes combined from different colours currently.

then if you set the colours up as spot colours, you can eliminate them in the output pdf, but turning on/off each colour rather than by layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pathfinder Merge should help to get rid of the overlapping objects.

Ungroup the result.

And as suggested select the same colors. Select a green object, choose Select > Same > Fill Color

Move the selection to its own layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines