• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Difficulty copying and pasting an image from my EPS file in Illustrator that has this box around it.

Participant ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very new to Illustrator, so I may need step-by-step instructions or a simplified explanation of what to do here. What I want to do is to grab one part of the vector images that I placed onto Illustrator via an EPS file (in this case, the red flower), however I am unable to select and copy and paste that image into a new artboard. It seems as though an entire section has this box around it and this box is selecting a group of elements which a small part of the flower is a part of, making me unable to select the entire flower or delete anything that is around it that lies within this box.

How can I best able to just grab the entire flower itself and copy it and paste it onto a new Illustrator artboard?

Please let me know. I have included a screenshot.

Thanks so much.
Screenshot (2628).png

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Oh my Gosh, this is too funny ... I was trying to edit (copy and paste) from the EPS file that I had placed onto an Illustrator artboard. I am such a newbie with this, and I did not know that I needed to actually OPEN the EPS file and edit (copy and paste) elements from there. I did so just now, and it worked. I was able to select the entire flower and copy and paste it onto a new artboard.

Thanks so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi first you need to ungroup the all items then you can select what you want as whole easily....regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there:
Thanks for your answer.

I did that, however even though most of the flower gets ungrouped some of it (the bottom part) is still included in the box that also includes the purple flower and other elements. The box just pops up when I get to a certain petal.

Screenshot (2635).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If ungrouping does not help, try releasing the clipping masks.

Since the upper part of the layers  is not visible, it's not possible to tell you about the structure of your file. You basically have to go through what the layers panel tells you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my Gosh, this is too funny ... I was trying to edit (copy and paste) from the EPS file that I had placed onto an Illustrator artboard. I am such a newbie with this, and I did not know that I needed to actually OPEN the EPS file and edit (copy and paste) elements from there. I did so just now, and it worked. I was able to select the entire flower and copy and paste it onto a new artboard.

Thanks so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you are tracing pixel images.

You need to click the Expand button in the Control panel them to continue working with them as vector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding.
Do I do so for the entire artwork or just that part before expanding? Do I keep the Object and Fill selected?
I tried this but I got the same box. In fact, I found out that there were several boxes still for different parts of the design, even after I ungrouped them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the Layers panel to select the parts you want to copy.

There are various objects inside clipping groups, hard to tell what happens if you release the clipping mask.

You may want to work on a copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there ... thanks for responding.

I just left a reply with Monika ... apparently it was all because I was trying to copy and paste an image after placing the EPS instead of editing the EPS itself. 

I am happy now that I know what to do.

Thanks for your help with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear you found the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines