Highlighted

Dimensions and coordinates changing on their own

Contributor ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, once again, Illustrator is driving me mad. I have objects with dimensions and coordinates changing on their own. This has been an ongoing problem for the 26 years I've been using the program, but at some point I thought it got better. However, just about every shape I am creating is now changing at some point after it's been created. For example, a rectangle created that looks like this...

X: 6530 mm
Y: 65 mm
W: 1860 mm
H 320 mm

I leave it alone (haven't touched it, haven't touched the rulers) and come back to it later and it now reads:

X: 6530.0002

Y: 65.0001

W: 1869.0002 mm

319.9998 mm

I know these are 1-2 10,000ths of a millimeter and make no difference to the output, but for someone with OCD it literally drives me insane and it's a huge problem. It's also not a quick read.

Funny thing is, it's only doing it in the Properties panel. On the top bar it reads as whole numbers.

Why after 26 years can Adobe not fix this?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Dimensions and coordinates changing on their own

Contributor ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, once again, Illustrator is driving me mad. I have objects with dimensions and coordinates changing on their own. This has been an ongoing problem for the 26 years I've been using the program, but at some point I thought it got better. However, just about every shape I am creating is now changing at some point after it's been created. For example, a rectangle created that looks like this...

X: 6530 mm
Y: 65 mm
W: 1860 mm
H 320 mm

I leave it alone (haven't touched it, haven't touched the rulers) and come back to it later and it now reads:

X: 6530.0002

Y: 65.0001

W: 1869.0002 mm

319.9998 mm

I know these are 1-2 10,000ths of a millimeter and make no difference to the output, but for someone with OCD it literally drives me insane and it's a huge problem. It's also not a quick read.

Funny thing is, it's only doing it in the Properties panel. On the top bar it reads as whole numbers.

Why after 26 years can Adobe not fix this?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 07, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brad,

It has actually become much worse with the four decimals. Many never/very rarely encountered it over the years with three.

And it can have a real impact, in cases where an integer is needed to make things work.

There was a bug fix as reported here which it ought to be solved/improved by 24.2:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/39906568-illustrator-24...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any antivirus software installed? Some years ago this issue was caused by Avast software, and disabled fixed the issue. That was a long time ago, but look at any third-party software especially free tools.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 0
Brad_S_ LATEST
Contributor ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, no antivirus running other than Windows Defender. This just really reared it's head again recently, with one of the recent updates, like 24.2 or 24.3, and I've not installed or done anythign out of the ordinary.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 0