• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Direct Selection Tool Marqueeing in Illustrator 2020?

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am relatively new to Illustrator but not to adobe (been using Photoshop and After Effects for years) but the direct select tool won't let me move objects, it only lets me marquee or select multiple objects at a time. I could be being completely stupid but if I have to move multiple objects with my arrow keys I think I will scream. 

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main purpose of the Direct Selection tool is to select part of an object. If you hold down Alt/Option when clicking on an object to select it with Direct Selection, it will temporarily act like the Group Selection tool and it will select the whole object. If the object has a fill color, the default is that the Direct Selection tool will select the whole object if you click on the fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Maybe this tutorial can help you: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/methods-for-selecting-artwork.html

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should be able to select and then move objects with the direct select tool, even though the purpose of the tool is to gain access to the individual anchor points. Once you have marqueed the objects, you should be able to click back and drag the objects as a whole. Just make sure you are clicking within one of the selected objects, not off of it and immediately dragging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines