Highlighted

Direct Selection Tool Not Selecting Lines or Anchors

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! I must have recently upgraded and now my Direct Selection tool intermittently won't select lines of a shape. 

I.e. I drew a rectangle, trying to select only one side of the rectangle to delete it, and it only selects the entire rectangle to delete the whole thing as if I'm using the regular selection tool.

The only fix is to drag my cursor over the line to make the selection, however this is NOT a fix! Especially when I have multiple shapes next to each other and need to lock them all first in order to drag across them to make only the selection of the single line.

I don't know what's happening in this new version buy my cursor sensitivity seems off too - hard to click on anchor points and objects as well. I have Precise Cursors on and my selection tolerance is at 20 the max.

What's strange is that this is not happening all the time - only for certain shapes. I can't go on working like this! Please help!

TOPICS
Bug, Draw and design, How to, Performance, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Direct Selection Tool Not Selecting Lines or Anchors

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! I must have recently upgraded and now my Direct Selection tool intermittently won't select lines of a shape. 

I.e. I drew a rectangle, trying to select only one side of the rectangle to delete it, and it only selects the entire rectangle to delete the whole thing as if I'm using the regular selection tool.

The only fix is to drag my cursor over the line to make the selection, however this is NOT a fix! Especially when I have multiple shapes next to each other and need to lock them all first in order to drag across them to make only the selection of the single line.

I don't know what's happening in this new version buy my cursor sensitivity seems off too - hard to click on anchor points and objects as well. I have Precise Cursors on and my selection tolerance is at 20 the max.

What's strange is that this is not happening all the time - only for certain shapes. I can't go on working like this! Please help!

TOPICS
Bug, Draw and design, How to, Performance, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it get better when you turn on Smart Guides?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

No that does not help. There are times when I am directly hovering over an object even with my selection tool, clicking on it and it just won't select the object or line.

This is beyond frustrating making it almost impossible to work and reducing my speed and productivity by probably 80%.

Please let me know what can be done. I have tried using my tablet, external mouse and trackpad with varied settings and it's the same problem for all. This was not happening until the latest update.

I am on a MacBook Pro 10.14.6. I do not want to upgrade to 10.15 because of the 32 bit app issues that are not fixed yet with other programs.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020 0
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try deleting Preferences? Reset Preferences. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I have not because I am wary of what that will do to my personal settings. Every time Illustrator is updated I have to re-enter my 25+ keyboard commands manually and reconfigure all of my toolbars and settings. It's incredibly frustrating!

If you have a fix for this too, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Whitney

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shortcuts are a separate file.

You could try and replace it after resetting the preferences:

https://www.vektorgarten.de/illustrator-settings.html

For that to work you would need to keep a copy of your preferences folder (or at least the stuff you'd like to keep)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2020 1
Resources