Display (rendering?) issue on M1 MBP

Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen this problem mentioned with regard to the new M1 MacBook Pros, so here it is:

I have a 13" M1 MacBook Pro connected to a new LG 5k ultrafine display. MacOS is up to date at 11.1 and according to the Creative Cloud app, all my Adobe software is up to date.

So far, Illustrator opens fine and runs without crashing, but the issue I have is that elements of the graphics I'm working on disappear. They're technically still there in the document. When I select them, and look at their fill and stroke properties, they still posess those properties correctly. The object just isn't visible.

In some cases, zooming in our out, or recentering the artboard will resolve the issue, but not usually completely. Very often other elements of the illustration disappear.

I can usually get everything to appear as it should if I select the graphics, cut, and paste in place but this too doesn't always work.

I would say the elements missing from a graphic seem random: A word that has been converted to outlines and isn't nested in any strange way among groups will have letters disappear while other letters in the same word/group remain visible. 

On the other hand, if I'm working with a document that has multiple instances of the the same logo in it (not as a symbol) the same elements of that logo will vanish across all instances of it in the document. 

This happens regardless of whether or not the display is connected, and it happens when I open documents that are already created before the new computer and on documents created new on the new computer.

Lastly, if I export the graphic as a JPG, PNG, or PDF (and presumably other formats, those are just the ones I tried) the "invisible" elements DO show up as they should in the new document. If I save an Illustrator file while elements are "invisible" and open it on my old iMac, they appear correctly. So thankfully the files are not "damaged" they're just not displaying correctly on the new MBP and what is "invisible" changes, coming and going as I try to work.

If not for this pesky issue, which is significant, Illustrator is running fine. There's some minor issues--I prefer to work without the "Application Frame" but if I turn it off, Illustrator keeps reverting to the small laptop display. That's OK, I'll deal with the dreaded Application Frame for now. Maybe I'll get used to it.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Display (rendering?) issue on M1 MBP

Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen this problem mentioned with regard to the new M1 MacBook Pros, so here it is:

I have a 13" M1 MacBook Pro connected to a new LG 5k ultrafine display. MacOS is up to date at 11.1 and according to the Creative Cloud app, all my Adobe software is up to date.

So far, Illustrator opens fine and runs without crashing, but the issue I have is that elements of the graphics I'm working on disappear. They're technically still there in the document. When I select them, and look at their fill and stroke properties, they still posess those properties correctly. The object just isn't visible.

In some cases, zooming in our out, or recentering the artboard will resolve the issue, but not usually completely. Very often other elements of the illustration disappear.

I can usually get everything to appear as it should if I select the graphics, cut, and paste in place but this too doesn't always work.

I would say the elements missing from a graphic seem random: A word that has been converted to outlines and isn't nested in any strange way among groups will have letters disappear while other letters in the same word/group remain visible. 

On the other hand, if I'm working with a document that has multiple instances of the the same logo in it (not as a symbol) the same elements of that logo will vanish across all instances of it in the document. 

This happens regardless of whether or not the display is connected, and it happens when I open documents that are already created before the new computer and on documents created new on the new computer.

Lastly, if I export the graphic as a JPG, PNG, or PDF (and presumably other formats, those are just the ones I tried) the "invisible" elements DO show up as they should in the new document. If I save an Illustrator file while elements are "invisible" and open it on my old iMac, they appear correctly. So thankfully the files are not "damaged" they're just not displaying correctly on the new MBP and what is "invisible" changes, coming and going as I try to work.

If not for this pesky issue, which is significant, Illustrator is running fine. There's some minor issues--I prefer to work without the "Application Frame" but if I turn it off, Illustrator keeps reverting to the small laptop display. That's OK, I'll deal with the dreaded Application Frame for now. Maybe I'll get used to it.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues. I am running the latest Illustrator on my M1 Mac Mini. Some graphics will disappear when GPU permanence is on. But it will be very laggy if I turn it off.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue on my Macbook Pro with M1 chip. Haven't found a solution, so I've just had to keep zooming in/out until it re-appears, which is slowing down my work speed significantly. 

Someone please find a solution! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 08, 2021 0
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to mention that this issue seems to have been fixed (for me!) with the version 25.1 update. I've only been using it for a couple of hours now, but so far, this issue hasn't come up. That's a relief.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 0
Resources