• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Distortion on small scale offset path.

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use offset paths on type a lot in my workflow. I've just noticed these have started being distorted on smaller type. This wasn't the case a few weeks ago. I feel like I unwittingly changed a setting.

I found a much older support ticket which suggested turning off "align to pixel grid" will solve this, but in Illustrator 2020 and 2021 "align to pixel grid" in the control bar doesn't seem to work.

Help!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

I don't think you changed a setting.

You may mention it here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check if View > Snap to Pixel is on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you describe a little more what you are doing?

Typeface, size, outlined or live type, offset settings, effect or from Object menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm usually seeking to boost or reduce thickness of type slightly to create consistency across multipe fonts and type sizes on packaging.

I've found the distortion on all typeface Myriad, Helvetica, everything. Live and outline type is effected.

I get the effect through Effect>Path>Offset Path.

That example was very small to higlight the distortion, but I am seeing it larger type as well.

The attached image is osx system Helvetica 14pt size, with a 0.05 pt offset oath -- notice the dot of the I is tilted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see and reproduce the slight distortion in your last screenshot, but that has been like that in older versions too (I checked CS6).

But I cannot reproduce the distortion you showed in your first screenshot.

(Please do not attach images, but use the Insert button)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the first image the type was much smaller. Unrealistially small, only using it to highlight the slight distortion.

Is there no way to correct the slightly distortion? I feel like I use offset paths in this way several times a day for my job, and have only had this issue right now. Which makes me think I changed a setting in error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think you changed a setting.

You may mention it here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines