Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Distribute anchor points evenly

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Distribute

Is there a way to select actor points and distribute them evenly, so they all have the same height.

distirbute.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

It's hard to tell from your screen shot but it looks like it's dong exactly what it's supposed to. It's distributing every anchor point evenly vertically from top to bottom. I tried to replicate what you're doing. Check out the screen shots below.

ForumIllustrator1.png

Just a bunch of rectangles

ForumsIllustrator2.png

Using the Direct Selection tool, marquee the anchor points on the left.

ForumsIllustrator3.png

Grab the top anchor point and move it up to where you want the objects distributed.

ForumsIllustrator4.png

Again, with the Direct Selection tool, marquee all of the anchor points o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The distribute functions in the align panel should work with individual anchor points, yes. Have only the relevant anchor points selected with the direct selection tool and click one of the distribute buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gave it a try and it would be nice if it distributes evenly on one spot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by one spot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It distributes evenly but does not stay in the same position. Once I have clicked distribute, the anchor points spread out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Align to Selection or Align to Artboard set?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Align to Selection , Align to Key anchor and Align to artboard. Still spreads out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a screenshot of what happens before and after and which anchor points you have selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is what happens when I distribute. I want to still keep the proportion but even them

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 15.58.58.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this and got the same result. The only way I could fix it was to use Snap to Point with the Selection tool and move the pieces back together.

Either deselect and move anchor point to anchor point with the Selection tool or turn off the Bounding box first and do it (and remember to turn it on again.)

Maybe someone else will have a better method, but this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to tell from your screen shot but it looks like it's dong exactly what it's supposed to. It's distributing every anchor point evenly vertically from top to bottom. I tried to replicate what you're doing. Check out the screen shots below.

ForumIllustrator1.png

Just a bunch of rectangles

ForumsIllustrator2.png

Using the Direct Selection tool, marquee the anchor points on the left.

ForumsIllustrator3.png

Grab the top anchor point and move it up to where you want the objects distributed.

ForumsIllustrator4.png

Again, with the Direct Selection tool, marquee all of the anchor points on the right side and choose vertically distribute centers.

ForumsIllustrator5.png

Using the Direct Selection tool, marquee each pair of adjacent anchor points, and align them vertically center. Rinse and repeat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chad, your method works for all of the internal paths, which involves moving both anchor points; but the outside two paths only have their inner points moved, and so I think that you will find that the distance between their points is different from (less than) all the others. And the extreme top and bottom points define the total space, so they cannot move.

To make this work, the selection for distribution must include (this is all direct selection on the right end of the paths): a) the upper point of the top path and the lower point of the bottom path, since they define the space over which the points are distributed; and b) one corresponding point on each path; i.e. all the upper points or all the lower points. So:

Direct select and move out of the way each of the (let us say) bottom points:

Direct select and distribute all the points on the right. This gives the proper spacing for all the upper points and an equal spacing between the upper and lower points of the bottom path:

Direct select and drag each lower point to the upper point of the path below it. Since the upper points are correctly spaced, the lower ones will be also, and the bottom path is already correct.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's definitely some interesting math going on there. You're right, all of the elements are not in fact the same size. Not sure if that's important to the OP but I totally get what you're saying. You're method adds the ability to precisely control the distance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love interrupting actual work to try to figure out problems like this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, this is very helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome. I had fun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Chad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you selecting the anchor points?
(I am mentioning the Direct Selection tool for others who search; I know you are using it.)

• If you shift + click each anchor point, the last one becomes the key “object”, or key anchor point.
  • If you marque drag the points there is no key anchor point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines