• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Docked Palettes Don't Expand

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a series of palettes that I use all the time (Layers, Links, Colors, Stroke, etc...) docked together on the right side of my screen. This main group is highlighted in red. This works fine.

I have more palettes that I don't use as often (Appearance, Type, etc...) docked on the side of this main group. These secondary palettes are highlighted in green.

The issue is that the secondary palettes don't expand when Application Frame is turned off. When Application Frame is turned on, they work as expected. When I cause them all to float, they work as expected.

I've tried resetting my custom workspace, and restarting Illustrator. This did not solve the issue.

Does anyone know how to get these side-docked secondary palettes to expand when I have Application Frame turned off?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expand Panels

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 23.45.32.png

and Collapse to Icons

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 23.45.48.png

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but that's not what I want. I only want the tools I am using to expand. Not the entire extra side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't do this, initialize your preferences.

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 00.01.58.png

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but the example you're showing has Application Frame turned on. I don't want to use Application Frame. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Application frame is off. I use a solid gray for Desktop. Look at the menu bar of Finder.

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "initialize your preferences"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click [Reset Preferences] and restart Illustrator. However, all settings will return to the default settings, so back up if necessary.

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 00.21.29.png

Here is a screenshot of the application frame and control bar turned off.
This is easier to understand.

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 00.25.52.png

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will my own custom workspace get wiped out in the reset as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ever reset?
The workspace is also reset. Back up Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings. carefully...

"/Users/User name/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings"

Restore the workspace from a backup only after you have confirmed that it is normal.
Perhaps there is a problem with your workspace.

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well here's a wrinkle. Any idea why I don't have that same Reset button on my preferences window?Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 1.10.32 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, here's a weird part. I never did get that same reset button to appear. But I moved the custom workspace file out of the preferences folder. Restarted illustrator. Then moved the custom workspace file back. Then restarted illustrator again. This time the palettes expanded correctly with Application Frame turned off. Weird. But whatever, it worked. Now I just need to remember that move next time it happens. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also have been puzzled with odd behaviours with stacking panels: it's been years since, actually.

It often happens, alos that the application starts with all panels hidden, and can't get them out, unless I change a different, preset workspace.

In this very moment, I cannot expand collapsed panels that are stacked and linked to the right side of the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines