• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Illustrator have a Gradient Feather tool like InDesign?

Participant ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4...I know it has to be here somewhere, I know the gradient tool in In InDesign but cant find one in Illustrator.  I see the normal feather but it seems to just feather the edges.  I need it to start full on one end and fade out to the other end

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Illustrator can feather transparency just as well as InDesign. Better, in fact. But the interface for doing so is convoluted and has long been one of the most asked questions on the forum. Look up Opacity Mask in the help files. Basically, you first create a gradient, gradient mesh, or a number of objects with different grayscale fills, which are then grouped. This object or group is placed above the object, image, or group to be masked and you Make Opacity Mask in the Transparency panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The gradient tool can be found under Window/Gradient in Illustrator.

In version CS4 you can choose the colour on the gradient and make the opacity value 0 which will fade to nothing and be transparent.

Is that what you are trying to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maithú Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect Answer thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator can feather transparency just as well as InDesign. Better, in fact. But the interface for doing so is convoluted and has long been one of the most asked questions on the forum. Look up Opacity Mask in the help files. Basically, you first create a gradient, gradient mesh, or a number of objects with different grayscale fills, which are then grouped. This object or group is placed above the object, image, or group to be masked and you Make Opacity Mask in the Transparency panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a followup to Scott's answer - If you use 100|100|100|100 for your masking black, as opposed to 0|0|0|100, it will fade all the way to transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Like most things in Illustrator, you have to do 2-3 steps, vs InDesign where you can do it in 1 step (natively).
When I have to work in Illustrator, I typically just do the gradation in PS, then bring it into AI as a PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines