Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.adobe.com/cc/letter.html

Seems there won't be a CS7 ever.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 230 Replies 230
Participant ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Scott, I'm not convinced. Since CS6, even the perpetual version, checks its activation periodically before allowing you to use it, Adobe could merely decline my activation after a year if you believe their statement in Myth 5.

Now, I know the meaning of "perpetual" and I'd like to think you are correct that I will be able to use it forever. But what you and I want to happen and what Adobe is saying (albeit in a blog from only one of their teams) are two different things without a clarifying statement about perpetual licenses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So CS6 has been out for a year now. You can no longer use CS5 NOW!

IS THIS THE FUTURE WITH CC????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was DYP wrote:

So CS6 has been out for a year now. You can no longer use CS5 NOW!

IS THIS THE FUTURE WITH CC????

No, you can use CS5. I use it everyday and I am a CC subscriber. But that is because I bought a perpetual licence for CS5 before CC was offered. It is not available for CC-only users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My point is that if CS5 was a CC product you could longer be using it. That is the future with CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Design Premium 5.5 suite and it hasn't stopped working just because I have CC/CS6...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreia Melinkoff wrote:

I have the Design Premium 5.5 suite and it hasn't stopped working just because I have CC/CS6...

My point is that if CS5 was a CC product you could longer be using it. That is the future with CC.

Read and Think!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mpc999 wrote:

Well, Scott, I'm not convinced. Since CS6, even the perpetual version, checks its activation periodically before allowing you to use it, Adobe could merely decline my activation after a year if you believe their statement in Myth 5.

I've never had my disc version of CS6 check activation other than upon installation. At least not that I'm aware of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have already been forcing upgrades by changing file formats.

At some point the DAF - the Downgrade Annoyance Factor -- is sufficient to force an upgrade.

But at least we can use the older version for simple printing tasks... but with this extortion plan, that option goes away.

This will be an incredible expense to those of us who are simply service bureaus, and only need to use Adobe to print customer-provided files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really can't understand how this is seen as an extortion...

It's -WAY- cheaper than buying the programs standalone or either in packages, plus you have a truckload of benefits.

An extortion is a situation when someone forces you to pay for something giving you absolutely nothing. Not really what Adobe is doing right now.

Holy cow, we are speaking about WORKING TOOLS, stuff you use to pay your bills and build up your life, do you pretend them to be free or what?

I really can't understand, seriously...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has come to light that Adobe will also be "culling" Fireworks and it's users from the CC. http://thenextweb.com/dd/2013/05/06/yes-adobe-is-killing-fireworks-only-plans-security-updates-and-b...

Posive Thinking at Work: Adobe is streamlining.... and gives the very same reasoning behind it's move as I thought they might when the time came: getting rid of overlapping functions and apps.

Wild Speculation: Dreamweaver... is it next on the Dead List? Flash? What about Illustrator, even if it would have a different reason than the question below?

Question to anyone who might know: is/was Macromedia's frameworks so screwed up or based on legacy compilers, that Adobe has decided to abandon the software rather than write new ones? This was whispered about as to the reason why FreeHand was abandoned and no longer updatable.

I would love to hear the answer to that eventually, since I've actually asked it before.

Message was edited by: DocPixel-BMW - spelling

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy cow, we are speaking about WORKING TOOLS, stuff you use to pay your bills and build up your life, do you pretend them to be free or what?

Who said anything about free? It's about refusing to rent a software license. Simple as that.

Example: I chose to skip Master Collection CS5.5. It just didn't offer anything significant in the primary applications, least of all Illustrator. So I just continued using CS4, and spent the $1200 elsewhere. Upgraded to CS6 when it came out. In other words, I didn't pay Adobe $50 per month for the duration between CS4 and CS6. I didn't skip a beat in my work, and didn't have to jump through any hoops. Actually acquired additional tools—just other than Adobe's—and thereby significantly broadened my WORKING TOOLS capabilities and versatility. I'm still running CS3 on my Saturday-morning laptop. What's hard to understand?

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issues with the Creative Cloud have NOTHING to do with pricing. Doc has effectively made it about pricing by trying to defend the pricing.

My primary issue with the Creative Cloud is the "No pay, no play" aspect of it.

Don't let Doc make it about pricing.. that's not the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is partially about pricing to me. It's about where I choose to spend my software budget, and what I'm left with if I decide Adobe's latest offering doesn't cut muster. The "no pay, no play" aspect is inherent in what I just described. I didn't have to quit using CS4 just because I wasn't interested in CS 5. Mr. BMW has not steered my thinking in any way.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if one can enforce an abatement of rent in case there are (unsolved) bugs, so that a user cannot reasonably use the application.

Any legal rules …?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legally, I'm wondering about Adobe telling CS6 perpetual license buyers they would get all the added features over the next 12-18 months when CS7 was released and a CS7 upgrade was purchased. Seeing as there is no CS7 upgrade.... were users just flat out lied to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[scott w] wrote:

My issues with the Creative Cloud have NOTHING to do with pricing. Doc has effectively made it about pricing by trying to defend the pricing.

My primary issue with the Creative Cloud is the "No pay, no play" aspect of it.

Don't let Doc make it about pricing.. that's not the problem.

Yes, "No Pay, No Play" is what has everyone launching the pitch forks and sticking "The Greedy Pig".

If Adobe is going to do away with versions the way they have stated they want to, the only thing I can think of that would work is, after 24-months you can cancel and own the program... or 36 months the suite. Similar to carrier/phone plans. It would be completely on Adobe's side then to update frequently and keep people either on CC or to come back to it as soon as possible.

For people that don't have to share their raw working files, that could work.... couldn't it?

I state specifically not sharing of raw working files, because as with a phone plan, any and every date is possible. You, or for instance the person that you're giving the working files to will always have to have at the very least, the same upgrades or features installed. I see that being a major mess, unless the CC versions will warn when opening a file what's missing to edit it. As I understand it, Adobe is not talking a simple "created in CS5 and trying to open in CS3" not working. It very well could look like a "missing fonts list" in a magazine layout without a font folder.

@JET - "Latest offering" - on a weekly/monthly basis?... how are you going to determine when it's time to quit? Pronto after 24 months?

As an example: so when an adjustment filter bug-fix doesn't fit your needs the week you can go "unlocked", you're going to quit the sub... without knowing beforehand that the "Rounded Corners Palette Widget*" from Photoshop will be added next week to Illustrator, and a week later to inDesign.

It's unfortunate... but I truly don't think that Adobe is going to lay out a map of what their planning for new features or when they will release them. For CC to even be conceivable for Adobe and to keep people on it, they must pretty much do what they've said they would and actually have done with the Edge tools: frequent feature updates and bug fixes.  I've said previously that they surely have that trick up their sleeve and a staggered calendar all ready to go.

If anything... it's just that "trick" that I'm accepting, look forward to, and am willing to pay for. Others consider it evil and a money grab. I'm certainly open to Perpetual Licensing even though I won't use it, I just don't see the benefit of it.

* NOTE: back around the time when Adobe introduced the Plug-In architecture to Photoshop, there was some discussion about them also developing "modular software". It is something I remember because I always thought it would be a really good idea. We've had all of these multiple programs, duplicating the menus, panels, dialog boxes, prefs... what have you. A far more efficient approach would be to add those things as "feature modules" if you need them, not unlike the plug-ins we all enjoy today.

Within Illustrator, look at all the goodness and features that the Astute Graphics plug-ins add (some would say, complete the mess that is Illustrator). What if Adobe is planning on going this route with their software as well? There's certainly recent evidence of this within the suite even today with the Mini Bridge (widget) for example.

Just curious what others have to say without getting personal... egads!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> "Just curious what others have to say without getting personal... "

Offer the Cloud model for those who want the cloud. At the same time, offer the perpetual license for those who prefer the traditional route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DocPixel-BMW wrote:

..... the only thing I can think of that would work is, after 24-months you can cancel and own the program... or 36 months the suite. ....

IF that is implemented, yes it would suffice. But that's a mighty big IF.

I can't won't even use the CC versions for a single day unless this is clearly written and explained so there is viable recourse should Adobe offer this, then backtrack later as they did during the sales of the CS6 perpetual licenses I posted about above.

As for raw files... all my files are raw. Everything is either exported for web, ui, or placed into indesign. I don't create outdated .eps files or backsave to CS2 anymore. But I do, on ocassion recieve a CS3, CS4, CS5 file from a client who wants the same version sent back to them. I don't anticipate that happening as often. But it will happen. Adobe stating select builds of CC would be made available solved that. IF they stick to it.

My main issue with the no pay no play aspect is retirement or some unforseen issue down the road. If I buy into the CC subscription and use it for 2 years or more I will have litterally hundreds if not thousands of files. Asking users to forsee issues and then go and back-save every file to an older perpetual license version has three major issues:

1. Requires art to be altered so you technically won't ever have the original files again (or at least not access to the original art). In addition, apps such as Indesign only back-save one version. If Indesign CC gets to what constitutes as CC10... am I expected to back-save step by step all the way to CC1 then one more time to CS6? How much alteration from the original file is this going to create?
  2. It can take weeks if not months to scour file systems in order to find every possible Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, Fireworks, After Effects, Premier, etc file and back save it. This increases exponentially if back-saving takes more than one step.
  3. What if the Operating Systems get major upgrades and CS6 no longer runs? Am I left without a viable non-subscription tool I can use then? If the OS doesn't support CS6, then no amount of back-saving is going to help. So if this were to happen I must not only deal with items 1 and 2, but I must also deal with the set up and maintenance of an outdeted system just to support my files.

Back-saving on the fly is not an option. See item 1 above.

This is an unacceptable issue. I'm not of mind to simply "trust" that Adobe will do right by this. It is in their interest to keep me feeding at the CC teet as long as they can. It would seem, they feel holding me, or rather my files, hostage is their current solution.

My business does not operate in a bubble. I require my tools to be accessable in any situation under any number of circumstances. This is why I purchased my tools to begin with - to allow my busines the flexibility to operate how it needs to. By being forced into a one-direction path which ends abruputly in a dead end, I am being asked to forsee a day when my business dies and I no longer need any of the tools I've spend so much money and time investing in. Adobe is asking me to support their new business model while at the same time ruining mine.

As I see it the best, most profitable and viable solution for both Adobe and its users it to offer a perpetual licnese buy out for the Creative Cloud. So when a user wishes, then can purchase a perpetual lincense for the currect CC version and maintain that as a stand-alone product. Basically, the same sales model CS6 was sold under. But actually provide the new features with the next upgrade option.

If Adobe doesn't want to deal with packaging and shipping, fine. Offer it as a download only, but offer it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Adobe is asking me to support their new business model while at the same time ruining mine.

Now that is the best quote from this discussion.

There is a legal case for ownership of products produced using Adobe software, access to them, and copyright etc. I doubt Adobe will win. Surely Adobe's lawyers have advised.

There also might be an element of kite flying, of taking such an extreme stance at the start so when Adobe backs down (as it expected to do) it will seem so magnanimous that we'll sign-up to whatever it offers in gratitude. A situation similar to trade union/employer demands and the compromise reached is what was intended in the beginning.

What Adobe has done is make me consider my attitude to software and hardware upgrades. Do I really need them? The answer at the moment is no. The Adobe announcement coincided with really serious problems on my new Mac with Adobe products and Mountain Lion, which I upgraded to in mid April. I have contacted Apple about them, but the quick solution to all the problems is to reinstall Snow Leopard on my old Mac over the weekend and that will become the new work computer. My shiny brand new Mac Mini with 16GB of RAM will be my secondary computer, used more for hobbies, and will probably have Lion rather than ML simply because it is difficult to install Snow Leopard on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[scott w] wrote:

DocPixel-BMW wrote:

..... the only thing I can think of that would work is, after 24-months you can cancel and own the program... or 36 months the suite. ....

IF that is implemented, yes it would suffice. But that's a mighty big IF.

Back-saving on the fly is not an option. See item 1 above.

This is an unacceptable issue. I'm not of mind to simply "trust" that Adobe will do right by this. It is in their interest to keep me feeding at the CC teet as long as they can. It would seem, they feel holding me, or rather my files, hostage is their current solution.

My business does not operate in a bubble. I require my tools to be accessable in any situation under any number of circumstances. This is why I purchased my tools to begin with - to allow my busines the flexibility to operate how it needs to. By being forced into a one-direction path which ends abruputly in a dead end, I am being asked to forsee a day when my business dies and I no longer need any of the tools I've spend so much money and time investing in. Adobe is asking me to support their new business model while at the same time ruining mine.

Well I can definitly see your concerns... and truthfully... they should be the same ones as I should have.

It all very well does come down to trust... and I can only agree with you that Adobe has NOT earned it over the last few years. Not to mention transparency. Adobe MUST as you say write this all down for all to see and understand... not in a legalese filled EULA... but plain, simple to understand English (translated later of course). They have to put it in "Stone" (Sans please ) whether they want to or not, if the Internet uproar is anything to judge by. And I do think perpetual licensing will live on in way or another as well, for the forementioned reason. Folks just are not going to stand by and watch this time, that's almost for certain.

I guess you could call my stance simply "wishful thinking". All of my posts have stated somewhere my undying "hope" and how I would "like" to see Adobe progress. Maybe it's an Utopian wish(?)... but it doesn't stop me personally from seeing what they have to offer, even with the caveats that I secretly may have, and you express so eloquently.

Re: Rent Abatement: ... it would be a first. At least in the software and tech arena. Paid web services and "rented connectivity (cells)" as an example can go down (and do) without recourse, and most if not all software is "as is" and "no implied usability"... blah, blah, blah. I can't see that going anywhere, but it would be interesting to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 11, 2013 May 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone not happy about the mandatory creative cloud subscription, you may be interested in signing this petition:

https://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-s...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why it feels like sad news

should we be exited instead about the new CC features?

http://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator/features.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why it feels like sad news

Probably because those of us who aren't interested in monthly software subscription fees have just been written off by Adobe.

Corel, ACD, and Xara should be glad to hear it.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least I don't need to budget for CS7 this year. I can just use CS6 until the wheels fall off, then begrudgingly subscribe if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least I don't need to budget for CS7 this year.

Same here. I'll be sending less than half of what I've been sending Adobe for each version upgrade of CS to Corel for an overdue upgrade to the Draw Technical Suite--and be happier, to boot, with the greater empowerment I gain from it in terms of significant and practical functionality.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines