Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.adobe.com/cc/letter.html

Seems there won't be a CS7 ever.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 230 Replies 230
Engaged ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

I made a feature request when Illustrator 10 came out to be able to pay for the software on a monthly subscription basis with the ability to pay for programs on a month by month basis, but the way the cloud works is bvetter than what I wanted and more economical in the long run.

Darn Wade. You're going to have to stop letting your foot talk to your tonsils... and tell the wall to quit hitting you in the head!

You walked into this foo-foo... now get yourself out... if not only for a little humor relief at the end of a long heated debate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You see I read at the time that there were some licenses on high end software for movie editing that were paid for by subscription and thought is was a good idea.

I make lt's of feature requests whether thAat is why the features appear I have no idea but I made those request.

For instance when the iPod came out I made a suggestion on this forum that Apple would have to make it a phone as well and if they did not do it someone else would.

By the way I post most of the feature request that I submit here on the forum first and then I submit them.

For instance I had suggested that illustrator have 3D capability and had a running battle with several other users on the forum who insisted that Illustrator should not have it.

My purpose for having it was different than what it became but nontheless it was a feature request I made and then I met Mordy and I said that perhaps it did not have to be a full fledge 3D feature only so you cold manipulate a 3D object. I meant I did not mean to be able to make 3D objects just to manipulate 3D objects within Illustrator. But we got something a little bit more than that but not quie what I actually wanted.

I also made a request for a 3D feature in Photoshop which was also eventually realized. And there again I had a long running dispute with a couple of users on the forum about that request as well.

Perhasps Scott W recalls this all and if not you can ask Mordy perhaps.

You might all think your smart but I think I just have better ideas than you. And that's life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

- For instance when the iPod came out I made a suggestion on this forum that Apple would have to make it a phone as well and if they did not do it someone else would.

- You might all think your smart but I think I just have better ideas than you. And that's life.

I remember reading in Steve Jobs book about you Wade, how he turned to you for consulting on the iPhone concerning all details and features once he heard your idea. Also, it must be a slug fest when you and Al Gore get together and battle it out about who invented the internet. But I must say, driving around each day, I appreciate your suggestion to Henry Ford about cars for everyone. You probably shouldn't have given Einstein that idea about spitting the atom however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, Adobe is already changing its line on "archived" versions. It originally read that only one version back was to have been available. Guess the marketing geniuses hadn't figured out that would have limited one's ability to work with past client files or with clients that will hold onto their perpetual licenses through a couple major version updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 14, 2013 May 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave_Burkett wrote:

Also, a CC user isn't forced to upgrade to the latest update when it becomes available via the Creative Cloud.  They can always stay on the version they have until it makes sense to move to the newer version.

I thought that this was only true for a single year. After that, you have to upgrade.

Which is true??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you posted matches Adobe's statements, John.

But they have since written that "select builds" of the CC versions will be made available from time to time. No word on how often or if that alters the "you've got one year to use this then we kill it" aspect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encourage and advise anyone to just read through 3-5 pages (or more) of the threads over in the Creative Cloud forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/creative_cloud

To witness the "user" perspective concerning the reality of the Creative Cloud - Adobe's New Flagship Offering.

Most issues are not between the user's chair and their computer, but rather the user's computer and Adobe's Cloud.

It is as if it's a comedy of errors, at the paying customers expense. Is this thing secretly still in beta?

----

• I wish the change.org petition page would add the whitehouse.gov DOJ petition page to their list of links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2013 May 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They can always stay on the version they have until it makes sense to move to the newer version.

But they still have to keep renting it. And that's the thing that matters. That's the deal breaker. I ain't gonna rent software from Adobe. Period.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unaware of this URL for checking Creative Cloud status:

http://status.creativecloud.com/

Look at all the issues each and every day, so this is considered the new "flagship offering" from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow great link W_J_T. Clearly you can't rely on the CC service to be available at any given time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get it.  What's that downtime for? Cloud file storage? Does anyone actually use that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah downtime for the "cloud" servers not the apps. And I'm certain many use it if they have it. After all.. how many use Dropbox? If you're already on the hook with Adobe, you probably aren't quick to jump on a hook for Dropbox as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[scott w] wrote:

Yeah downtime for the "cloud" servers not the apps. And I'm certain many use it if they have it.

Yeah I was amazed (in a negative sense) to see the daily results when I came across that link. There are quite a few current threads over in the Cloud Forum with people not having access to their files and if you search many, many more in the past. Great for deadlines huh!? Also it should be noted that it is NOT JUST the cloud storage that can go down but access to the apps themselves, again in the cloud forum there are various current and recent threads where peoples subscriptions get un-synced or mishandled by the system and cause major issues also. I would be utterly embarrassed if I was an Adobe employee representing the Creative Cloud product. Sadly many of them no doubt feel as us consumers about it but have to grin and bear it and forge on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read it as an epic poem:

Some users may experience delays in working with their files.

Asset availability issues have been resolved.

Some users may experience poor performance with some features of the service.

Performance degradation issues have been resolved.

Some users may not be able to use the service.

Service availability issues have been resolved.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fabulous. Unfortunately it does not perfectly rhyme.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

guys, Beta or not, product has delivery deadlines to meet, they'll get it right eventually...we're very optimistic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh Carlos.. still wide-eyes and optomistic after Adobe poked you in the face with a sharp stick last week... gotta love it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<sarcasm>guys, Beta or not, product has delivery deadlines to meet, they'll get it right eventually...we're very optimistic</sarcasm>

Ahh Carlos.. still wide-eyes and optomistic after Adobe poked you in the face with a sharp stick last week... gotta love it

Scott, you know I have a wicked sense of humor, did you think I joined the Dark Side?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note the winky in my post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

noted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too knew you were being sarcastic, I was adding further to the sarcasm. But I am serious that the Creative Cloud seems pre-Alpha rather than beta and certainly not a release candidate by any means.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CarlosCanto wrote:

guys, Beta or not, product has delivery deadlines to meet, they'll get it right eventually...we're very optimistic

Beta? More like "pre-alpha". Some of the most basic things seem to have gone untested.

Pre-alpha

Pre-alpha refers to all activities performed during the software project before testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant wrote:

Creative Cloud paid members have access to a select set of archived versions of the desktop apps. Starting with CS6, select older versions of the desktop creative apps will be archived and available for download. Archived versions are provided “as is” and are not updated to work with the latest hardware and software platforms.

Good to see that addressed.

I still find Myth #4 posted on Terry White's blog to be a bit laughable. I create hundreds of files each year. Expecting me to backsave everything before I end a subscription is a huge issue. After a year or two, one could be looking at weeks of work just to backsave files so they are accessible in previously purchased non-subscription versions. Just ask ex-Freehand users how wonderful a prospect this is. What's the point of a new version if one much save everythign to an older version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know where Dave Merchant gets his information.

See http://blogs.adobe.com/dreamweaver/2013/03/5-myths-about-adobe-creative-cloud.html

Adobe says:

Myth #5: I will be forced to always run the latest version of the software

You are not forced to upgrade. You can continue to run which ever versions of the software that you want until YOU are ready to upgrade. This is crucial for workflows that involve working with clients or vendors that may not be on the latest versions of the software. You can continue using your current version of the product for one full year after the subsequent version is released.

So it sounds like I will not be able to use my CS6 suite (perpetual license) after a year. Is that correct? Some perpetual licence!

And then, if I have to build files in CC, if I ever stop my subscription I am unable to open my files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You can continue using your current version of the product for one full year after the subsequent version is released."

How in the hell is this not being forced to upgrade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mpc999 wrote:

So it sounds like I will not be able to use my CS6 suite (perpetual license) after a year. Is that correct? Some perpetual licence!

A perpetual license is a perpetual license. Adobe can't take it back. If you purchased the disc version of CS6 you own the license and can use it untill the world blows up. New installs don't alter the installations from disc. It is absolutely possible to run disc versions of CS4, CS5, CS6 and a Creative Cloud subscription for anything beyond CS6.

My concern was regarding CS-Cloudv1 and CS-Cloudv2 and CS-Cloud-v3.... can you run all three of those when needed? Granted this is forward thinking to a year or two down the road. But that's important to do before entering into something like a subscription where my money just goes into a pit and is no longer an investment but rather a loss. Based on the update on Terry White's blog, I'm not clear on this at all even though I understand the ability to run CS6 simulteaneously with the Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines