Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.adobe.com/cc/letter.html

Seems there won't be a CS7 ever.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 230 Replies 230
Valorous Hero ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least I don't need to budget for CS7 this year. I can just use CS6 until the wheels fall off, then begrudgingly subscribe if needed.

But...but...how will Adobe's free support (this forum) work if "everyone" doesn't pay to play?

I see Adobe wringing their hands in glee that they now have exponentially increased their beta tester base. No doubt this is to give CC renters a better, more stable, product. And faster, too.

Makes me just shiver all over.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe... So you just want to tell us old, loyal customers to get lost?  Those of us who are now retired or disabled, and helped make you what you are today...  but we are now fools because you want to fight piracy?

Yes... we are the fools... We bought your product even when we could have pirated them, but now, in order to fight the pirates, you will not let us continue to own these products... after so many years?

The priates are already laughing at us!

I am now disabled/retired and can't afford a monthly fee... and I do not have an ongoing, reliable internet connection... I haven't even been able to upload ONE (1) large Tiff file so my friends could access it. but now you expect me to use the cloud for... everything?  What BS!

This is crap!  Pure extortion!

You have had your people talk for how long about converting our RAW files to your "forever, available, format."  Now you are saying that (in the future) if we have LR, with one version of ACR and CS6 with an old one, because we can't afford your monthly subscription fees, then we will be SOL?

Is this what you mean?

I don't like lawyers, but I think they will have a field day with this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...because you want to fight piracy?

Nightshadow,

This isn't about piracy. It's about flattening and broadening the revenue stream. Creative Coolaid users can't elect to skip versions which they deem unworthy of the price. They'll become more "captive" to Adobe than ever before. Adobe doesn't have to ship disks or print packaging; just put it on a server, continue using cookies to bombard everyone online with ads, and charge whatever the suckers who buy into it will pay to be forever at Adobe's mercy. It's every monolithic software vendor's dream: Continuous Charging of Captive Customers.

It's just like the nonsense about "In a community of creative experts, Help is not a document" tripe. Gag me. That bit of Creative Copy writing is about shrugging the burden of customer support and proper documentation onto the customers themselves.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if Adobe introduces features and new services that you find you need if that will change your position on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Services? Nah. Features? At the rate Adobe rolls out new features we would be looking at AI 21CC to make that a worthwhile proposition.

Now, longstanding bug fixes, or usability changes, I would actually have to think about that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Myths/Misconceptions about Adobe Creative Cloud

http://terrywhite.com/5-myths-about-adobe-creative-cloud/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "myth" video did not address the concern that we are forced to store our artwork files-- sometimes rather large files -- online, rather than locally.  This raises concerns about time, security, etc.  What about small offices that use cellular data plans?

Another myth that was unaddressed is that the customers are now being extorted... and will pay a compulsory Adobe tax FOREVER.  Wait... maybe that is not a myth?

How about this... What if we are willing to give up Adobe's great deal?  What if we want to foolishly continue to buy a perpetual license?  Why won't Adobe just allow us to to do this, and then laugh all the way to the bank?  After all, the CC is a better deal for us, and not just some profiteering scheme from Adobe, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Afaik you can store your stuff on your own hard drives, not on the Cloud, unless you want to. I'd never store on the Cloud as I think it is a great opportunity for digital theft - not that I have anything worth stealing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  And, according to my internal audit accountants, my software was paid for a long, long, time ago.  When I dished out nearly $1500.00 in 1995 for Adobe's Creative Collection.  The software itself was written and developed years before I decided to buy-in.  So, a $.50 fee for each application sounds fair to me or a year's club fee for $9.95 on disk with documentation.  What I find surprising is that there are so many people willing to go along with this Crummy Creative Crud absurdity...year-after-year.  Perhaps James Talbot's suggestion of going over to competitors will open Adobe's eyes.  Noone is forcing people to go along with the party plan.  So don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have taken to following every Adobe pay-per-click ad I can find... facebook, etc... hoping that I will click on one that reveals Adobe will reverse course on the rent-for-life plan and become customer-centric once again.

So far, no luck.  Anyone else have any luck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they should have official news about it "shortly" as per their blog post posted a few posts above

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well now the forum cache isn't updating for me. I can's see recent replies unless I post something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...I'm having trouble seeing some posts as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott,

It only took 10,000 views and 200 replies for your thread to achieve "Popular" status. (And only third in line after that old classic, "How do I crop a photo in Illustrator?")

PopDis.png

I particularly like this metric. (We business tycoons like that word, "metric." Sounds cool, doesn't it?):

NoSim.png

And this one:

NoPub.png

😉

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you crop a photo......

wait... Rasterino! That's how! Thank heaven for AstuteGraphics.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[scott w] wrote:

How do you crop a photo...... wait... Rasterino! That's how! Thank heaven for AstuteGraphics.com

If only Adobe would spend some their billions in revenue to buy some of these wonderful 3rd party developer products that far and away exceed Adobe's own innovation.

There are countless examples of this (both free and ones you buy )by add-ons putting Adobe to shame concerning innovation.

Wonder what Adobe's thoughts on innovating their current products is?

http://www.macworld.com/article/2040845/adobe-vp-says-creative-cloud-is-a-big-bet-but-allows-for-bet...

Sharma says that there will be more emphasis on brand-new, razor-focused applications —such as the Edge line

— rather than adding more and more functionality (and, some would say, bloat) to mature products.

Mala Sharma -- VP of professional business in Adobe’s digital media business unit

Oh yeah, more forcused on "brand-new, razor-focused applications".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 07, 2013 Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W_J_T wrote:

[scott w] wrote:

How do you crop a photo...... wait... Rasterino! That's how! Thank heaven for AstuteGraphics.com

If only Adobe would spend some their billions in revenue to buy some of these wonderful 3rd party developer products that far and away exceed Adobe's own innovation.

There are countless examples of this (both free and ones you buy )by add-ons putting Adobe to shame concerning innovation.

Wonder what Adobe's thoughts on innovating their current products is?

http://www.macworld.com/article/2040845/adobe-vp-says-creative-cloud-i s-a-big-bet-but-allows-for-be...

Sharma says that there will be more emphasis on brand-new, razor-focused applications —such as the Edge line

— rather than adding more and more functionality (and, some would say, bloat) to mature products.

Mala Sharma -- VP of professional business in Adobe’s digital media business unit

Oh yeah, more forcused on "brand-new, razor-focused applications".

I'm way ahead of ya WJT: I actually asked on the AstuteGraphics blog what it would take for them to consider buying out Illustrator from Adobe. Their team are the only ones seriously developing for it.

I also pointed this company out way... way ... up the thread

Also, I just returned from reading the interview at Macworld with Sharma... and what a hoot it is!

"Sharma describes this as “the futuristic model, where you have these small apps that are focused but they all work together and make sense together. That’s definitely the direction.

Again... way up in the thread when I was supporting the move to CC (which I no longer am BTW!), I mentioned this modular approach. It so happens that the idea and promise is about 12-13 years old when Photoshop first started the plug-in architecture... and then later with the bundling as a suite.

Why did it take Adobe a decade + to realize this? And why am I skeptical that this will ever happen? And pointing above to AstuteGraphics, why is it that all of the innovation and great "modules" are all coming from 3rd parties, rather than Adobe itself? For example: Kuler? Your kidding right? That's the Poster Child for extending Adobe's Apps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DocPixel-BMW wrote:

[...]

I just returned from reading the interview at Macworld with Sharma... and what a hoot it is!

"Sharma describes this as “the futuristic model, where you have these small apps that are focused but they all work together and make sense together. That’s definitely the direction.

Again... way up in the thread when I was supporting the move to CC (which I no longer am BTW!), I mentioned this modular approach. It so happens that the idea and promise is about 12-13 years old when Photoshop first started the plug-in architecture... and then later with the bundling as a suite.

Why did it take Adobe a decade + to realize this? And why am I skeptical that this will ever happen? And pointing above to AstuteGraphics, why is it that all of the innovation and great "modules" are all coming from 3rd parties, rather than Adobe itself? For example: Kuler? Your kidding right? That's the Poster Child for extending Adobe's Apps?

InDesign suffers the same. "New: Dark Interface, QR Code, ... Uh, that's all folks." Never mind the continuous stream of posts requesting long standing bug fixes (some of these dating back to CS2). QR Codes, on the other hand, do not appear *at all* in InDesignSecrets' Wishlist (http://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/114445-adobe-indesign-wishlist).

I don't have a trial version of IDCC, but I wonder if they just added a nice input panel around my QR Code script and called it "New! Improved! See, We Are Listening To You!".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys just don't get it. Look, it's simple:

• Adobe Illustrator is the professional drawing program.
  • Illustrator does not crop raster images.
  • Therefore, drawing programs which crop raster images are not professional.

It should now be unnecessary to mention shape primitives, cutting paths, inline graphics, connector lines, dimension tools, drawing scales, paragraph rules, find/replace paragraph returns, auto fitting textframes, contour lines, shape/conic/radar grads, a proper arc tool, proper corner rounding, reverse path command, graphic find/replace, proper object inspector, connector points, modern charting, uniform blend spacing, distribute group along path, snap/align artboards, diffusion dither bitmap rasterization, object-level halftones, auto extend/retract individual handles, retracted handle envelopes, reliable snaps, incremental snaps along SmartGuides…subscription-free licensing…and all the other things the professional drawing program doesn't do.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 08, 2013 Jun 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JETalmage wrote:

You guys just don't get it. Look, it's simple:

• Adobe Illustrator is the professional drawing program.
  • Illustrator does not crop raster images.
  • Therefore, drawing programs which crop raster images are not professional.

It should now be unnecessary to mention shape primitives, cutting paths, inline graphics, connector lines, dimension tools, drawing scales, paragraph rules, find/replace paragraph returns, auto fitting textframes, contour lines, shape/conic/radar grads, a proper arc tool, proper corner rounding, reverse path command, graphic find/replace, proper object inspector, connector points, modern charting, uniform blend spacing, distribute group along path, snap/align artboards, diffusion dither bitmap rasterization, object-level halftones, auto extend/retract individual handles, retracted handle envelopes, reliable snaps, incremental snaps along SmartGuides…subscription-free licensing…and all the other things the professional drawing program doesn't do.

JET

I believe that was "the short list"... correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is sad. I work for a company that doesn't allow the use of cloud storage for security reasons. That means they are actively blocking all kinds of cloud storage with their firewall. Now I can't install adobe creative cloud because the creative cloud manager gets blocked by the firewall. I've been in contact with adobe support who says there is no way of installing adobe creative cloud without opening up for the cloud storage, so it's a no go for us. The only solution is to cancel my CC subscription and go back to CS5.5 or buy a CS6 licsense (with no future upgrades in sight).

I'm working in a pretty big enterprise with around 30.000 employees, so Adobe will probably miss out on a lot of future profits if they keep up with their stubborn CC only attitude!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Markusaker,

Agreed. It is sad for many reasons. I read that in changing to the subscription only model, Adobe took into account that they would loose some customers. They figured in the long run they would make much more money with subscription only in spite of a few lost customers here and there.

It may take a couple of years, but eventually CS6 will become obsolete and Adobe will have their way. In the meantime, I will do my best to fight the subscription only model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many things not to like about Adobe's move to subscriptions, so I don't like people muddying up the message to Adobe that we don't like it, by stating something I believe is false, or you and/or the Adobe rep didn't understand it correctly:

1) You do NOT need to use CC Cloud storage, nor access it at all if desired.

2) You can turn off "Preference Syncing" in all of the Adobe Apps, and even block the servers from a Firewall of your choosing with NO problems with the software working.

3) You DO need to allow the activation servers from Adobe to check from time-to-time the status of your license.

4) You can... but are not required to use for example TypeKit, Kuler, or even Adobe Updates. Naturally, you're sacrificing a good part of your subscription fee by not taking advantage of a 20,000+ font library, plus bug or future feature updates like Camera RAW. However, that's your choice.

With that said, all other MAIN arguments stand:

1) that at some time in the future... speculative, but very likely... Adobe will raise the monthly/yearly fee;

2) that once you stop paying your sub, you will lose access to editing your CC designed documents, specifically those that make use of features only found in CC apps... or fonts if using TypeKit.

So by all means... rage on against the machine. But please keep the message simple and most of all: informed!

NOTE: Official Adobe rep or tech engineer?... or India Call Center employee? BIG difference, also considering that they are trained to push you into a CC sub one way or the other and only know the benefits from looking on a computer screen, and none of the deterrents.

Markusaker wrote:

This is sad. I work for a company that doesn't allow the use of cloud storage for security reasons. That means they are actively blocking all kinds of cloud storage with their firewall. Now I can't install adobe creative cloud because the creative cloud manager gets blocked by the firewall. I've been in contact with adobe support who says there is no way of installing adobe creative cloud without opening up for the cloud storage, so it's a no go for us. The only solution is to cancel my CC subscription and go back to CS5.5 or buy a CS6 licsense (with no future upgrades in sight).

I'm working in a pretty big enterprise with around 30.000 employees, so Adobe will probably miss out on a lot of future profits if they keep up with their stubborn CC only attitude!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well as of right now I can not use Adobe CC.

Our firewalls are blocking something so my Cloud control panel is unable to connect.

no_internet_connection.jpg

I have asked our IT department if they can fix it so I can install creative cloud on my computer, but they refused and said we can't use it because it's a security risk with the external storage. Obviously you can choose not to use it at a user level. But that is not good enough. It has to be controlled at a network/firewall level, because they can't risk it if it's up to individual users to control this.

I bought the subscription myself on behalf of my own department, it is not something I got through our IT department, and IT is currently not supporting it, so if I can't resolve this myself I have to cancel my subscription.

I have talked to Adobes support to find out if the creative cloud storage can be blocked on a network/firewall level without blocking the entire application. I was hoping to get some information I could bring forward to our IT department. After chatting with 3 different people in the online chat support, I was reffered to their technical support phone line in denmark because this was too technical for them.

The guy on the phone said it wasn't possible to block cloud access without blocking the whole thing. Maybe he didn't understand it correctly or didn't have enough knowledge, but what can you do when you've tried all options with support?

I'm hoping someone else has information that suggests otherwise, and I would be more than happy to know so I can forward it to our IT department!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Markusaker wrote:

I'm hoping someone else has information that suggests otherwise, and I would be more than happy to know so I can forward it to our IT department!

Then this is the wrong forum and definitely the wrong thread.

You might try here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/download_install_setup?view=discussions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines