• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drag-and-drop PDF and ai file importing with a black background instead of transparent

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am revising an old ai file that has a handful of PDF figures incorporated onto an artboard. All of these figures were imported into Illustator as svg files, edited, saved as an ai file, and then exported from this parent ai file as a PDF. I am replacing one of these PDFs with a newer version. Every time I try tp drag-and-drop the new PDF file into this ai file, the new PDF has a black background (in picture; I've also tried drag-and-dropping the parent ai file). The new PDF has a transparent background when I open it in Preview on my MacBook. I've also gone to File > Document Setup and I'm pretty sure transparency is on... "discard white overprint in output" is checked. I did this on both the parent ai and the PDF files. I'm not sure where to go from here. Does anyone know what might be happening?sensitive information redacted from imagesensitive information redacted from image

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Problem solved! If I "Embed" the file (available in a menu that appears when the object is selected), the background becomes transparent. However, now when I go to resize the PDF the weight of the lines remains constant...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

If I go to Object > Flatten Transparency... it fixes the line weight problem but gives the PDF a white background

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried not drag&drop but: File>Place and select any of those PDFs?

Or open then directly in Ai, and copy & paste in the other file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have tried both. Copy + Paste and File > Place both give the PDF a black background in this ai file. I don't know if there's possibly a parameter I changed in the parent file that makes only this file act this way? I also made sure Illustrator was up to date. I just updated to 24.2.1 and it's still doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you use the .ai file instead of the pdf saved from that file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preview is not suitable for checking a PDF file. All it can tell is if there is something in that file.

What does Acrobat show?

Apart from that: PDF is not a native Illustrator file format. In fact it was never even meant for editing at all. It will always be interpreted. If you want to still edit a file, save it as an AI file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved! If I "Embed" the file (available in a menu that appears when the object is selected), the background becomes transparent. However, now when I go to resize the PDF the weight of the lines remains constant...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I go to Object > Flatten Transparency... it fixes the line weight problem but gives the PDF a white background

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After you embed the file, you can check if those objects are vectors/

Open the Layers panel, use the Selection tools for that task.

When you resize or scale vector content, lines, strokes, in Illustrator you have the option to scale (proportionally resize) the weight or width of those strokes. How?

Open Preferences (Cmd+K)>General>Scale strokes and effects. Or select your artwork, slect the Scale tool and press Enter (or 2x click on that tool) there you will see a checkbox for Scale Strokes  and Effects.

P.S. Flatten Transparency may convert some areas or objects to pixels, raster content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines