• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dragging and dropping images into Illustrator sometimes embeds, sometimes links

Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way when dragging and dropping an image into Illustrator to determine whether the image is linked or embedded? I would prefer all images to link but Illustrator seems to sometimes link and sometimes embed. Any help greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shift Drag and Drop embeds.

Just Drag and Drop links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

amazing, I could have avoided years of trauma with this simple information, thanks for sharing Ton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for adding on to your question, but you may also run into this, and Ton is great at addressing these advanced issues.

When dragging & dropping images into illustrator, rotating or scaling does not work the first time, but always on the second attempt. This problem has existed to me since atleast CS6. The place command works fine, but I prefer dragging and dropping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some file formats give the appearance of being dragged, but Illustrator actually creates artwork from them behind the scenes - which can be confusing for people who expect such formats to act like placed items. Such formats include the SVG and the AutoCAD DWG formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the replies.

Funnily enough I'm still having the same issue with illustrator, I noticed when art working a job on Friday an image embedded, I was definitely not holding down shift at the time, I then dragged in some more images - all embedded. The only way I could stop illustrator embedding images was to quit illustrator and restart it. I am using illustrator 2015, which probably isn't ideal but I have no option as I work in a large studio and compatibility is an issue.

Started to think its my Mac, but I noticed other jobs I opened by other art workers had a similar pattern - some images embedded - some linked.

I asked a colleague if he had noticed the issue, but he hadn't, I think I only noticed it because I regularly need to package / collect the linked images in the illustrator files.

Any how, thanks again for all your suggestions - I do appreciate you all spending your valuable time trying to help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you do a file-place, the Link checkbox will also have an effect on your file placing - such as if you do it once, all following placements will probably be according to this checkbox as you set it the first time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you notice that they are embedded, can you check what is checked in the Place dialog, Link?

If so try to uncheck that option, it is sticky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

During saving of files make sure include linked files is unchecked, as that will embed files upon saving.

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 8.59.39 AM.png

The wording on that is confusing and to me"Include Linked Files" should really say "Embed Links".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having thre same problem. All the jpg images I drag and drop into illustrator have been embedding the image, not linking to original file (which i prefer so that the file size ain't massive).

I've tried all that people have suggested here and none of it works. Any ideas why Illustrator sometimes decides to embed and sometimes links? What gives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines