• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drawing a diagonal straight line from one point to another using the pencil tool.

Participant ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay Boys & Girls my question should be something I can do as a beginner, but I can't seem to do it properly.  Let me explain.  Here's what I did:

I created a postcard size artboard 5" x 7" in landscape

I split the artboard in half at 3 1/2" with a straight line.  No problem.  That was easy!

But in the left box, all I wanted to do was draw a diagonal line from the center top half point to the bottom left most point.  My turtle is laughing at me!

I'm embrassed.  I should be able to do this.

I hold down the Shift key while drawing the straight line between the points just described.

But that's only good for 45 degrees or straight vertical and horizontal lines.

Oh now look, my turtle just stuck his tongue out at me. 

How can I control this?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As written by Barbara Ash on another related question:

With the Pencil tool you can hold down Alt or Option and drag to create a straight line at any angle, but not with the Brush tool. You can use the Pencil tool or the Pen tool or drag with the Line tool to create a straight line. Then apply any brush to the path.

To the other viewers with a similar question:

I've been trying to figure this out for two hours.  That is until I started looking at the related questions.

That's when I found Barbara' correct answer.  She deserves a flower: 

BlueDog007_0-1622950373226.jpeg

And guess what?  My Turtle just hid back into his shell.  No cacadas for him tonight.

Finally two hours later, I can get back to my work.

Keep smiling!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Pen tool for straight lines. Single click where you want the line to start, then single click again where you want the line to end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Larry:

I've recalled my study of the Pen tool, and it does work to make straight lines and curved lines too.

I also learned from Barbara how to use the Alt key and drag to create a straight line at any angle,

This program is amazing.  So many things to learn and remember.

All the best to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines