• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

drawing a slinky

Enthusiast ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to draw a coil, similar to a slinky, preferably as a brush so that it can easily be made into various configurations (arc, s-shape, and so forth), without distorting the coils. I can almost get that look by drawing multiple ellipses but I can't figure out how they can be coiled together in one long coil.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A brush won't respect perspective.

Do you need perspective? Please show how you want it to look. An example? Your initial drawing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This gives some idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I conclude that perspective is relevant.

In that case you can't use a brush, but will need to draw and/or adapt those slings one by one in order to get them into perspective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very manual, convoluted way to possibly get what you want.

1. Click with the Spiral tool.
  2. Set the Decay to 100% and enter lots of Segments (the more Segments the longer your slinky can be.)
  3. Click OK

What looks like a circle is actually a Spiral that is spiraling straight down on top of itself.

1. With your Selection tool (V), click on one of the side bounding box points and drag inward to fake perspective.
  2. Deselect the Spiral.
  3. With your Direct Selection tool (A), select the four anchor points that make up the top layer of your Spiral. Click on the first point and Shift-click on the other three points to add to the selection.
  4. Double-click on the Direct Selection tool, to open the Move dialog box.
  5. Enter a small amount like .125" in the Distance field and press OK. This will move the first four point to the right.
  6. With the first four points still selected, repeat by Shift-Clicking on the next four points that are now revealed. And keep repeating until you run out of segments.
  7. You could experiment with Angle amounts to make the Slinky go up or down.

It sort of works. See attached. I added a Silver Gradient to the Stoke to make it easier to see the overlaps.

Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 8.45.21 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting technique, Jeff. It beats drawing every anchor point from scratch. I like it and will give it a whirl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea how to draw slinky's for hair?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Wolfe_ 

If just a coil will do, a simple pattern brush works, but it doesn't behave like an actual Slinky.

tromboniator_0-1611041389227.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines