Highlighted

drawing in Illustrator and watercoloring in Photoshop VS. all in Photoshop

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I make ink drawings in Illustrator and then import those into Photoshop for coloring.

These days, can i do the same thing in Photoshop with their vector tools, or is it still useful to cross-use the programs like that? In short, are the tools in Illustrator available in Photoshop, and if so, are they identical to Ill, or does the latter have a much larger array of tools? I think i can guess the answer but still wasn't sure.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ton Frederiks | Adobe Community Professional

You can combine them.

Use your Illustrator linework as a smart object in a Photoshop 300 ppi document.

Use watercolor brushes on layers below it and place the result (without the smart object layer) back into Illustrator.

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Import and export, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

drawing in Illustrator and watercoloring in Photoshop VS. all in Photoshop

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I make ink drawings in Illustrator and then import those into Photoshop for coloring.

These days, can i do the same thing in Photoshop with their vector tools, or is it still useful to cross-use the programs like that? In short, are the tools in Illustrator available in Photoshop, and if so, are they identical to Ill, or does the latter have a much larger array of tools? I think i can guess the answer but still wasn't sure.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ton Frederiks | Adobe Community Professional

You can combine them.

Use your Illustrator linework as a smart object in a Photoshop 300 ppi document.

Use watercolor brushes on layers below it and place the result (without the smart object layer) back into Illustrator.

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Import and export, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 10, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has vector tools that draw pixel shapes. It depends what you need. If everyting is going to end up as a pixel image in Photoshop anyway, maybe you don't need to start in Illustrator.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope you found your answer. We'd appreciate if you can mark the appropriate response correct. If you used any other method, you can share it with us. It'll help other users with similar concern.

I'd also recommend checking out this help article to know how you can use Illustrator and Photoshop together.
Let us know if you have any other concern, we'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can combine them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2020 0