• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drawing inside a shape hides the stroke.

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working in Adobe Illustrator on a machine running Windows 10, suddenly I can't draw inside a shape without the shape's original stroke disappearing. We are wracking our brains trying to figure out what went wrong. It worked just fine up until two hours ago, so I suspect I unknowingly toggled something I shouldn't have. Please watch the attached video for more details.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

In the brushes panel you can select the option "Basic"

Obviously you are using the brush tool to draw your paths. If you don't want a dynamic stroke width, then it would be better to use the pencil tool instead. It can apply a basic stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

In your video what does not work is that the stroke of the clipping path disappears.

But now it's all about the paths you draw inside.

A clipping path cannot have a brush stroke applied. You have to use a basic stroke for that.

The clipped objects themselves can have brushes applied.

I don't know how this is supposed to look like. Please tell us what you expect to do. If it is just about using the Wacom for drawing, you can just use the pencil tool. Only thing that one doesn't do is respect

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just a stroke, it's a calligraphy brush that is applied.

What happens when it's really just a stroke?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you perhaps mean when I use 1 pt. round? The same thing happens. It doesn't matter that the brush is calligraphic, the stroke of the shape I draw inside disappears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1pt Round is also a brush.

Just apply a 1 pt stroke. No brush at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, okay, I don't know how. I'm fairly new to vector graphics. With which tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the brushes panel you can select the option "Basic"

Obviously you are using the brush tool to draw your paths. If you don't want a dynamic stroke width, then it would be better to use the pencil tool instead. It can apply a basic stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I used the brush tool for all the sections I drew inside. Now, when try to continue doing so, I can't. All I want to know is why, so I can continue drawing the way I was and before and avoid doing whatever it was that caused the main object's stroke to disappear when using the brush tool to draw inside it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your video what does not work is that the stroke of the clipping path disappears.

But now it's all about the paths you draw inside.

A clipping path cannot have a brush stroke applied. You have to use a basic stroke for that.

The clipped objects themselves can have brushes applied.

I don't know how this is supposed to look like. Please tell us what you expect to do. If it is just about using the Wacom for drawing, you can just use the pencil tool. Only thing that one doesn't do is respect the pressure and tilting of the stylus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think understand what the initial problem was now. I wasn't purposely making clipping paths. If I see it convert somehow, I'll retrace my steps to avoid it. Thanks so much for your patient assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome!

When using the "Draw inside" mode you will always make a clipping mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines