Highlighted

Drawing inside a shape hides the stroke.

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working in Adobe Illustrator on a machine running Windows 10, suddenly I can't draw inside a shape without the shape's original stroke disappearing. We are wracking our brains trying to figure out what went wrong. It worked just fine up until two hours ago, so I suspect I unknowingly toggled something I shouldn't have. Please watch the attached video for more details.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

In your video what does not work is that the stroke of the clipping path disappears.

But now it's all about the paths you draw inside.

A clipping path cannot have a brush stroke applied. You have to use a basic stroke for that.

The clipped objects themselves can have brushes applied.

I don't know how this is supposed to look like. Please tell us what you expect to do. If it is just about using the Wacom for drawing, you can just use the pencil tool. Only thing that one doesn't do is respect the pressure and tilting of the stylus.

Topics

Draw and design, Performance, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Drawing inside a shape hides the stroke.

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working in Adobe Illustrator on a machine running Windows 10, suddenly I can't draw inside a shape without the shape's original stroke disappearing. We are wracking our brains trying to figure out what went wrong. It worked just fine up until two hours ago, so I suspect I unknowingly toggled something I shouldn't have. Please watch the attached video for more details.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

In your video what does not work is that the stroke of the clipping path disappears.

A clipping path cannot have a brush stroke applied. You have to use a basic stroke for that.

I don't know how this is supposed to look like. Please tell us what you expect to do. If it is just about using the Wacom for drawing, you can just use the pencil tool. Only thing that one doesn't do is respect the pressure and tilting of the stylus.

Topics

Draw and design, Performance, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just a stroke, it's a calligraphy brush that is applied.

What happens when it's really just a stroke?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you perhaps mean when I use 1 pt. round? The same thing happens. It doesn't matter that the brush is calligraphic, the stroke of the shape I draw inside disappears.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1pt Round is also a brush.

Just apply a 1 pt stroke. No brush at all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, okay, I don't know how. I'm fairly new to vector graphics. With which tool?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the brushes panel you can select the option "Basic"

Obviously you are using the brush tool to draw your paths. If you don't want a dynamic stroke width, then it would be better to use the pencil tool instead. It can apply a basic stroke.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I used the brush tool for all the sections I drew inside. Now, when try to continue doing so, I can't. All I want to know is why, so I can continue drawing the way I was and before and avoid doing whatever it was that caused the main object's stroke to disappear when using the brush tool to draw inside it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think understand what the initial problem was now. I wasn't purposely making clipping paths. If I see it convert somehow, I'll retrace my steps to avoid it. Thanks so much for your patient assistance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

When using the "Draw inside" mode you will always make a clipping mask.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines