• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drawing Symmetrically Transform Distort - Where is the axis?

Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to draw a design and I am hoping there's a way to desisgnate or lock where the axis of reflection is on my layer. I used 

Effects > Distort & transform > Transform and then these settings( copies: 1.) However after each shape or line I create it seems to move everything else on the layer in response to this new thing I just created. Is there a better way to draw with a clearly defined "middle"?ill.png

Here's an example of a design:

ill.jpg

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would usually create an invisible (no stroke/fill) object to serve as the boundary of your reflected objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion. Where do I designate the boundary? I was trying to find this out in my search for answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

In the most recent versions you can have access to the Repeat functions (see Object menu). One of them is dedicated to mirroring things and it offers some ways to fine-tune the axis (position and angle).

You may take a look at it and explore what is possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Illustrator CC 2021. I drew shape and then went to the Object Menu. What should I be looking for next?

objectMenu.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marshy, the Repeat menu should be in the Object menu, right below the Pattern menu item.

I have no idea why it is not there in your Object menu, but some other users reported its absence as well …

Your Illustrator version is 25.2.3, isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Creative Cloud and my app should be up to date. I'm in 25.0 (64 Bit) if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Version 25.0 is not up to date.

You may install the latest version (25.2.3). The Repeat features should be available in that version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines