Dull colours in exported Illustrator PNG

Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

It seems like this is a common problem people have with Illustrator... 

I learned recently that going to View > Proof Setup > Monitor RGB can make colours a lot more vibrant.

I did that, and really liked the look it gave to my document. However, when I exported it as a PNG, the colours looked washed out (looks like the colours I would have gotten if I used View > Proof Setup > Internet RGB). The scerenshot on the left is what it looks like inside Illustrator. The screenshot on the right is what the PNG looks like.

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 11.01.27 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-28 at 11.01.41 AM.png

My document colour mode is RGB, I am viewing in CPU, and and have "assigned profile" to sRGB.

Is it possible to export in those vibrant colours? If so, what should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In which application are you viewing the exported png? 

Did you embed the profile when exporting? 

»I learned recently that going to View > Proof Setup > Monitor RGB can make colours a lot more vibrant.«

Do you really want to sacrifice fidelity for a more colorful, but meaningless display? 

»Is it possible to export in those vibrant colours?«

Those vibrant colors are meaningless. 

If the Color Space is sRGB (and this makes sense when working for internet use) then it needs to be displayed as sRGB, that is part of Color Management. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm viewing the PNG in Preview (on a Mac). 

Thanks for clarifying what the vibrant colours/Monitor RGB actually are and what I should be doing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I learned recently that going to View > Proof Setup > Monitor RGB can make colours a lot more vibrant.

By @lindentree

You should forget that immediately.

Illustrator uses color management. But it doesn't embed a profile into PNG documents. So after exporting a PNG, open it in Photoshop and embed the color profile. And then view it in an application that uses color management as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the clarification and tip!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines