• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicate Graphic Styles when copying form one dokument to another

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I copy objects that are linked to graphic style from one document and paste them into a document with the identical graphic styles (Same appearance, same name) new graphic styles are created with the same name plus appended numbers. Is there a way that the graphic styles are not duplicated, so that I don't have to delete the duplicated styles manually?

I would appreciate very much your help.

Daniel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

If I open "example1_cs6.ai" selected and deleted all unused styles. I draw a fresh new line and assign the graphic style  Feine Linie to this, every time I copy paste this line within the same document a new Feine Linie2... Feine Linie3...  appears. The other styles seemed to be good.

To fix I created a new stroke and matched the settings black 1 pt stroke. I then option dragged the stroke on over "Feine Line" swatch in graphic styles to replace all settings. Now when I copy a stroke with the up

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that is happening, there must be something different about the graphic style. If you move the fill color color even 1% will do that.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 11.35.01 AM.png

You could compare them in appearance to see if something is different.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 11.51.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 11.51.30 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering. I have checked it. The appaerance is identical.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-18 um 12.36.26.png

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-18 um 12.36.37.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the colors are identical. I agree with Kurt if you can post the files, that would really help, as something more complex may be going on here.

Most often this is caused by a difference in the style attributes. Unless you physically updated a style this should not happen.

I would normally suggest the merge styles flyout to help clean this up so you can move on, but 2 reasons:

1. seems to be a bug as does not work at all as merge swatches does - atleast in CS6 mac which is the system I am this week
  2. would like to analyze your files to find the exact cause, so we can confirm the styles are consistant or if this is a false positive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are describing is an issue (bug) in older versions of Illustrator (for example CS5).

Which version are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Illustrator CC Version 22.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the .ai files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, here are two files as an example. When I copy an oject from example1.ai ti example2.ai new duplicate graphic styles are added with the same appaerance.

https://we.tl/J4qgisEQqY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you would like to save down to CS6 I can look at this, or can someone else please review.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Here are the same files for Illustrator CS6.

https://we.tl/MoqQn3hbA2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I open "example1_cs6.ai" selected and deleted all unused styles. I draw a fresh new line and assign the graphic style  Feine Linie to this, every time I copy paste this line within the same document a new Feine Linie2... Feine Linie3...  appears. The other styles seemed to be good.

To fix I created a new stroke and matched the settings black 1 pt stroke. I then option dragged the stroke on over "Feine Line" swatch in graphic styles to replace all settings. Now when I copy a stroke with the updated settings to "Feine Linie" that no longer duplicates.

So you may need to recreate the problematic ones you have, and option drag over graphic style to redefine.

The color profile differs between both your documents, but do not think that has anything to do with this after testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your help and the time you spent on it. Now I know the reason for this issue and have a soulution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am glad you were able to follow, as I tried to be brief and simple so you could apply the learnings to example 2.

I enjoy working on these issues, especially ones like these which I have never seen before., so thankyou for posting.

We may never know exactly what corrupted your styles, but as you cleanse the other files you may find a pattern such  as graphic styles created a long time ago or some unique setting on those.

Please come back, should you have any more questions, or just to let us know how you are doing with this after some time has passed. If you do not need any more assistance please choose  answer that best helped. This changes  post color to green letting all know which posts  no longer are in critical need of addressing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The graphic styles contain different swatches (same percentage of black, though).

Make sure that you only use one of the swatches (either "grau" or "Graufläche")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still had he same problem. Some of the graphic styles still duplicate when you copy paste an object. Especially lines. I tried to buid it from scratch but that was okay until you saved and opened the document again. With the graphic Styles where there was an arrow or a 'round corner'-effect added to the lines there was no problem.  So I put a very small round-corner effect (0,01) on the regular and dotted lines...

and... it works...

Grtz,

Filip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue in EVERY THING I make. If I have 4 styles, inside of about an hour I will have 25 more duplicates of those 4 syles. Then when I want to revise the style — it doesn’t take to half the work rendering the whole use of graphic styles useless. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same Problem in ALL Illustrator CC versions up to CC2023.

There is one workaround if you work within one document (not copy and paste between documents).

Do not use copy and paste!

Use option drag instead, or transform (translate or move ) with pressing the copy button on the bottom left to make a copy.

Then move the copied objects where you want them.

If you alredy have a lot of duplicated styles and want to get rid of them:

• make all layers visible

• drag a new line, apply a copied style (i.e. Line Green 2).

• In the application menu click on select / same / object style or graphic style (I use e a German version, there it is Auswahl / Gleich / Grafikstil).

All objects with the same style as the new line are selected.

• Click on the style you want to apply: Line Green.

• In the styles panel click on "select all unused"  to select unused styles and click on the trash symbol.

If they are still not selected, there may be objects in symbols with the style applied. check all objects in symbols for applied styles.

Takes some time but it works. To make it easier make an action so you can do the selection of the objects with one click, without scrolling through the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines