Highlighted

Easiest way to do shadows and highlights

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm new to Illustrator and I'm looking for the easiest way to add shadows and highlights such as in this photo. https://www.vectorstock.com/royalty-free-vector/goblin-vector-3551412  What would be the best way to achieve these kinds of highlights and shadows? Is there a way to add to the paths that I've made and fill them in while keeping the stroke? I'm not sure how to exactly explain this. 

Hi, iano.

Different people have different ways of shading.
For example, you might want to try the following

1.png

Draw a black object for the shadow area.

Draw a white object on the glowing area.

3.png2.png

Set the Blending Mode to Soft Light.

5.png4.png

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Easiest way to do shadows and highlights

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm new to Illustrator and I'm looking for the easiest way to add shadows and highlights such as in this photo. https://www.vectorstock.com/royalty-free-vector/goblin-vector-3551412  What would be the best way to achieve these kinds of highlights and shadows? Is there a way to add to the paths that I've made and fill them in while keeping the stroke? I'm not sure how to exactly explain this. 

Hi, iano.

1.png

3.png2.png

5.png4.png

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no easy way. That's the whole point. Working with vectors can require tons of duplicate layers and objects and an organic form like the goblin is a perfect example for this. The artwork was very likely meticulously traced over an existing pixel-based image and then the contours were filled. No shortcuts here.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, iano.

1.png

3.png2.png

5.png4.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines