Highlighted

Edge Smoothness in Raster Exports

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been using Illustrator for many years now. And it seems that I've been having this issue off and on for just as long - jagged edges in JPGs and PNGs on export. The issue seems more pronounced in Illustrator 2020.

Is there some kind of special approach to exporting smooth raster work that I'm missing? (I'm talking going from 100% vector to jpg and png exports.) I always make sure to have anti-aliasing on for export. I've tried both Art Supersampling and Type options for that. I make sure the document is at high resolutions. In addition to that I've even enlarged the artwork itself inside an already high resolution document.  All this effort minimizes the jagged edges but fails to eliminate them. And to make sure it's not just my imagination, I've imported the vector work into Photoshop and exported as JPGs and PNGs from there (with same pixel dimensions), and I get smooth-edged exports that way. So something seems to be an issue with Illustrator, OR there's some vital technique I'm missing.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ton Frederiks | Adobe Community Professional

Photoshop is optimized for pixel editing, so I would not be surprised if you see a difference between the export from AI and Photoshop.

Can you share an example with the settings used in both apps?

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Edge Smoothness in Raster Exports

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been using Illustrator for many years now. And it seems that I've been having this issue off and on for just as long - jagged edges in JPGs and PNGs on export. The issue seems more pronounced in Illustrator 2020.

Is there some kind of special approach to exporting smooth raster work that I'm missing? (I'm talking going from 100% vector to jpg and png exports.) I always make sure to have anti-aliasing on for export. I've tried both Art Supersampling and Type options for that. I make sure the document is at high resolutions. In addition to that I've even enlarged the artwork itself inside an already high resolution document.  All this effort minimizes the jagged edges but fails to eliminate them. And to make sure it's not just my imagination, I've imported the vector work into Photoshop and exported as JPGs and PNGs from there (with same pixel dimensions), and I get smooth-edged exports that way. So something seems to be an issue with Illustrator, OR there's some vital technique I'm missing.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ton Frederiks | Adobe Community Professional

Photoshop is optimized for pixel editing, so I would not be surprised if you see a difference between the export from AI and Photoshop.

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 0