Highlighted

Editable PDF in Reader using a Design from Illustrator with Embedded Fonts

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am designing invitations in Illustrator to sell on Etsy and I would like to know how to do it so that they are editable in the free Reader for customers and the fonts are embedded so that they don't need to download anything to be able to use it.  I have seen it before but don't understand how to do it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by JonathanArias | Adobe Community Professional

This should be done in adobe indesign. Not illustrator. You are using the wrong program..

adobe indesign allows you to create text fields and embedding of specific fonts in those fields. Make the design of vectors in illustrator, place on to indesign, and add your text fields via the interactive panel forms section.

go to the adobe indesign forum for more help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Editable PDF in Reader using a Design from Illustrator with Embedded Fonts

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am designing invitations in Illustrator to sell on Etsy and I would like to know how to do it so that they are editable in the free Reader for customers and the fonts are embedded so that they don't need to download anything to be able to use it.  I have seen it before but don't understand how to do it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by JonathanArias | Adobe Community Professional

This should be done in adobe indesign. Not illustrator. You are using the wrong program..

adobe indesign allows you to create text fields and embedding of specific fonts in those fields. Make the design of vectors in illustrator, place on to indesign, and add your text fields via the interactive panel forms section.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 19, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you want to be editable? Text fields?

This is something you might be able to set up in Acrobat Pro.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2018 0
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug.  Thanks for your response.  Yep after text to be editable only.  I was just hoping to set it up in Illustrator as from what I can see the text formatting option in Acrobat Pro are very limited (no kerning etc) and I really need this for my designs to look right.  Also, I would like the customer to receive the invitation with my full design including text and then they can change it if they would like to change elements like names and dates etc.  But when I look to create forms they all appear black and it seems like the customer would have to type in the whole thing rather than just change text elements that they need to and leave the rest.  I would also prefer if they couldn't change from my selected fonts that have been embedded. 

Thanks!  Any help is most appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2018 0
Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2018 1
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thank you so much!  I've just had a play and your right this is what I needed.  Just need to figure out how to embed the fonts now as when I export as a form they appear as Times New Roman and left aligned and also don't include and default text there that can just be changed if needed.  I will jump over to the InDesign forums to look for further answers!  Thanks so much for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2018 0
Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a PDF form you can't use any font. Just some fonts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the exact same issue. This response is helpful but doesn't address the delemma: "customer would have to type in the whole thing rather than just change text that they need to and leave the rest"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 08, 2020 0
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show your work and describe exactly what you want a customer to be able to change?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNGFor example. If I have an invitation that was designed in Illustrator or Indesign, I'd like to give my customers the capability to edit this. If not the images then the text, WITHOUT having to download the fonts i used to create the piece. With Indesign, I can create a fillable form, but there's another problem. When i use interactive forms in Indesign to create a pdf, the client will not see the fonts that i used but a defalt font...they would have to download the fonts I used in order to see it the way it was designed. Is there a way for the font to remain exactly the way it was originally designed without the client having to download the fonts?

Please kindly advise. Thanks!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2020 0
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There might be some kind of programmatic method if you could build a web app, but otherwise no.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a Web app. Templett and Corjl...But they charge a monthly fee and royalties lol. Thanks for your help though. I appreciate it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2020 0