Highlighted

Editable PDF saving

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why when you save your AI file as a PDF, then work on it some more, then command "S" to save again, it assumes you want to save an inevitable PDF -- why would it not save the AI file? ANd why does it give you the option to save an editable PDF that in fact, the file is not editable?

There must be a setting somewhere that will at least remind me that my last save was a PDF and ask me to save as AI... This is so maddening that I loose data this way. 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Editable PDF saving

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why when you save your AI file as a PDF, then work on it some more, then command "S" to save again, it assumes you want to save an inevitable PDF -- why would it not save the AI file? ANd why does it give you the option to save an editable PDF that in fact, the file is not editable?

There must be a setting somewhere that will at least remind me that my last save was a PDF and ask me to save as AI... This is so maddening that I loose data this way. 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 29, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. If you are editing the PDF document in Adobe Illustrator, using "Save" will overwrite the existing file. You need to use "Save As" option to change the format to Ai or any other.
You may check the filename with the extension on the file tab. I am also attaching a screenshot for the reference:

Screenshot_23.png
If you are looking to make changes in the "Save" functionality, please post a feature request on https://illustrator.uservoice.com/
This forum is monitored by the product team and they might consider your suggestion for upcoming releases.
Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2020 0